Patch Script EMU Confusion

I doubt anyone can help with this ‘dinosaur’ question, but I am frazzled by the following.
I have two EMU sound modules with expanded ROMs: Virtuoso 2000 and 2500.

I have a script installed for each which shows up properly in the track MIDI output setting and when clicked displays patch names from all the installed ROMs.

I have attempted to set all the parameters for MIDI program change Identically on each unit.

One unit, the Virtuoso 2000, behaves flawlessly selecting patches. The other, 2500, does not respond at all.
Any troubleshooting thoughts would be appreciated!

Have you configured them in MIDI Device Manager on seperate ports etc.? Perhaps an overview of how they are cabled might help … how many MIDI outputs are on your computer, etc.

Hi MrSoundman!

I never expected any reply soon. Thank you.

Yes, the are both ‘connected’ in MIDI Device Manager to their correct MIDI Ports. I have 2 MIDI ports active on my interface connected to a Mackie Universal Control surface.

I have an iConnectivity mioXL. It is a MIDI patchbay USB connected to my PC Windows 10 machine. It has 8 DIN inputs and 12 DIN outputs as well as 8 or 10 USB MIDI ports … only one in use.

Both devices are connected in and out through available DIN connector cables. I am sure … as I can be … that the connections are correct as I can operate both modules with my keyboard routed through MIDI-Ox to the respective ports. Also, when the devices are instantiated in MIDI output they will trigger the MIDI in the respective modules for playback.

The one that does not respond – is it this: EMU Proteus 2500 ?

If so, while I’m not familiar with that particular module, I see that it “offers a generous 128 notes of polyphony with up to 32 channels of MIDI addressable”. I wonder what the mechanism is whereby 32 MIDI channels are accessed if only one MIDI input is available … is it possible there’s an internal setting to determine where incoming MIDI program change commands are routed?

Do you have the MIDI Implementation chart for the device?

E-Mu seems to use a re-channelizer inside the device.
grafik

I don’t know if an unfortunate setting here can send any ProgramChanges to an unused and unconnected MIDI port while the rest of the data gets transmitted to the synth.

@Como_Baila It looks like the Proteus 2500 needs to receive BankSelect MSB, BankSelect LSB, ProgramChange. How does your script transmit this?

1 Like

Thank you both for your help!

I think I had a bad script for the 2500, even though Cubase installed it as a MIDI Device and it properly displayed the patch list. I found an alternate and it worked as expected, so thankfully I don’t have to dig deeper.

I’m really excited to re-integrate my sound modules in Cubase after about 5 years of leaving them in a closet. I’d given up on MIDEX8 due to inconsistent communication with my USB ports. I recently acquired an iConnectivity mioXL and so far so good. I’m also hooking the audio outs of my EMU units S/PDIF via a Z/SYS Detangler for best sound transfer.

It is an exciting time for the EMU 2000, 2500 and Command Stations. New ROMs are being created for the first time in over 20 years. One is due to be released tomorrow, March 17, 2024, according to this link.

Yes, I have the original manual including MIDI implementation chart … but I’m not competent to read and fully understand how to use the chart.

For anyone generally curious about the EMU 2500, here’s a good overview from SOS magazine.

Still running one here, on Windows 10 x64, using the unsupported drivers here (click).

Thanks for the feedback, great to see there’s still someone supporting physical MIDI connectivity. I’m looking for a replacement and this looks like a good candidate, I especially like the RTP-MIDI support (over Ethernet).

Welcome to Jurassic Studio. Imagine that asteroid narrowly missed. :slight_smile:

@MRSoundman Ha, ha!

I have 3 MIDEX8 all working at one time with the ‘unsupported’ driver. I think my issue was paucity of USB connections in Windows at the point I tried to resuscitate the MIDEX8s. I understand there is an upper limit of 127 or so. I had the same issue when installing the mioXL … so I went into Device Manager and nuked about half of the connection under the USB Controllers. Took ages to reboot, but all the abandoned connections of device no longer connected were restored and install was successful.

I’m not really very technically minded with respect to the nuts and bolts of equipment, but I love concepts and grubbing around to implement them. I suppose I’m entitled to hijack my own thread, so I’ll add that my studio has never been better now that I have these modules reconnected, digitally connected to my RME UFX+ and also have all my other outboard gear controlled through Flock Audio Patch System.

It involved days and weeks of crawling on the floor and sticking my head up behind racks … but now I sit in my chair and route everything everywhere with total recall right from my desk.

Only have to worry about those asteroids.

E-Mu had really good sounds for its day. There is nothing wrong with still using them. I have some of them lying on my hard drive as samples, possibly from the Phatt (can’t remember anymore how I got them, though).

@Johnny_Moneto Agreed. I have a few great VSTis, but there is something so satisfyingly immediate about auditioning sounds from hardware sound modules. I’ll forever resent Creative Labs for acquiring EMU and then abandoning it.

Then of course you can really put new life into those sounds with CCs and in-the-box FX.

Word :handshake:

Creative bought EMU in like 1994/1995 and EMU had another 12-13 year or so run under Creative. If it wasn’t for Creative, we would have never seen those modules you have or the EIV lineup. EMU went away because they just weren’t making money anymore. There was way too much competition in the interface market already and the Emulator X was pretty much dead in the water because it required one of their interfaces for copy protection. By the time it didn’t, there was no chance of catching up to Kontakt/Gigasampler/Halion/etc .

I appreciate your history and stand informed. However there are two things that I still resent greatly.

First, there was no reason for them to stop hosting EMU web support. They flushed all their documentation, updates, drivers, etc. This only reflects callous disregard for a service that virtually cost them nothing to maintain.

Second, I’m not sure what you mean about Emulator X . It certainly didn’t require a proprietary interface as I installed it on two successive machines running RME interfaces. On my last PC purchased about 10 years ago, my copy of Emulator X3 would not install because the ‘call home’ website that authorized it no longer functioned. Despite numerous attempts to contact Creative support, they simply ignored me. They owned the great and expensive software and permitted it to be abandoned. It had nothing to do with their interfaces.