I’m sorry, but this is a nightmare.
- No two drum kits are alike, so you better seriously expect this to be a high-ranking issue
- I have to rename subbed-in kit pieces in two places only for there to be a third place where that name change never updates (namely the kit editor), and also the mapping editor
- Why should it be necessary for a full-blown custom instrument editor to be made, when the actual problem is multiple (more than 2) cymbals in the drum kit profiles, for example?
I’ve tried the XML tricks for making a custom instrument and instrumentnames_en.xml doesn’t even exist in my installed Dorico folder. So that trick won’t work.
Subbing another eclectic percussion instrument didn’t work for me, despite updating it in the kit editor and the instrument to be triggered in the mapping editor. (Yes the MIDI note was correct), so that workaround is out, too.
Right now I have to make custom Playback Techniques to trigger every single kit piece that isn’t in line with Dorico’s definition of what a drum kit is made up of. That is extremely annoying, and I don’t think an entire custom instrument wizard is necessary to address this, as I’ve seen mentioned here.
This is not a technical support post, just a rant/plea to make creating custom kits NOT a huge PITA as it currently is.
edit: I found out that
instrumentnames_en.xml is located in a different place as the other two files, and I’m going just fine with manually patching the XML as long as that continues to work/be possible!