Since the free Windows 10 upgrade is about to expire I somewhat reluctantly decided to upgrade from 7 to 10. The number of “no problems here” posts in this thread helped convince me https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=98663
After the upgrade my PC started hanging 3-5 minutes after booting. Open programs would often, but not always, continue to function. But the Start Menu became unresponsive and attempting to launch any new program failed. So I tried the first 2 of these 3 widely published solutions http://www.pcworld.com/article/3045633/software/3-fixes-for-a-dead-windows-10-start-menu.html These didn’t help. I was reluctant to try the 3rd (reset Windows 10) as that would force me to reinstall all my programs.
Instead I rolled back to Win7 which the upgrade supports for a month after upgrading (I also had a clone of my Win7 system disk which I could have used). I made sure that all my programs and drivers were totally up-to-date, and also uninstalled anything I really didn’t use. Then I performed the upgrade again.
The first thing I did after upgrading was launch Task Manager to the Performance Tab. After a minute or two my SSD System Disk usage spiked to 100% and stayed there while the hang symptoms returned. I found this MS article describing a fix for this problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595
Task Manager shows the disk to be at 100% utilization despite a light or no workload, and the system may experience lag or become unresponsive. In addition, the system event log contains numerous events with Event ID 129, which represent resets of the disk controller.
Initially following the fix described in the article seemed to solve the problem. But after an hour or so the 100% usage returned. Further googling showed that Superfetch can cause this problem http://www.techbout.com/fix-100-disk-usage-error-windows-10-5549/
Disabling Superfetch did help. I’ve been running all afternoon fine. The combination of disabling these 2 features seemed to solve the problem. I wanted to document this in case others experience the same problem.
Immediately after posting this I returned to my DAW, and guess what - it’s back
I’ll report back after further debugging.