PC to Mac migration

so…
stretched budget to I7 by going for basic macbook with 0%, without retina and upgrading cpu and ram ( i mostly use external monitor at home anyway)
install gotchas:-
Gatekeeper on mavericks doesn’t trust the installer yet so you need this workaround
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn … ducts.html
You’ll also need the Halion Sonic installer downloaded and ready to run as it requests it during install

Started right up with my elicenser dongle. looks like i just to work through transferring my plugins and go

thanks everyone so far

I hope you mean reinstall. Simply transferring you dll files won’t work. They are Windows plug-ins and you must install the mac versions of all your plug-ins.

Also note that OSX handles VST plug-in very differently to Windows. In Windows you can install then, practically, anywhere and you the “point” Cubase to the correct locations. In OSX they are all (except for Steinbergs own) installed in one of two locations: Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST or VST3. For VST 2.4 plug-ins, you can put them in sub-folders that will be replicated in Cubase’s plugin-menus as categories. Therefore, under OSX there is no option to Point Cubase to the plug-in locations, since it’s not needed.

Actually, there is third location (in the Users area), but I’ve yet to see a single installer that uses it. It’s only used if several people are using you computer (with separate accounts), and you have some plugins that your don’t want other users having access to. The plug-in stored in the main VST folders are available to all users.

Hi everybody,
hope this post is not too in late…

I’m considering to migrate from an old acer extensa laptop (xp) to the mac world for various reasons: need for more performing computer, curiosity to finally test ‘mac world’ personally and boredom about all windows issues…

If I don’t go wrong I could be satisfied with a sistem like this:

2.3GHz Mac mini
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mavericks

I could later add RAM and, maybe, I’d better using a 256 flash SSD.

I mainly use Cubase (I’ll upgrade to 7.5 from 4.5), and SIbelius (6 at the moment), with EW Symphonic gold library, Absynth 5 and NI Battery (3 to upgrade to 4).

I also have a MOTU828mkII so I could still use the fw port…

Any suggestion?

Thanx,

arfo

Hello arfo,

Moving in to a Mac system from that old XP laptop certainly can’t go wrong, but you will definitely need more RAM (at least 8GB) and I strongly suggest you do the RAM upgrade before taking your new computer home. The SSD is a good idea, but if you’re on a budget, the RAM expansion has priority.

Things to bear in mind:

1. Make sure you have the latest 10.9.x compatible driver for you MOTU audio interface.
  2. See if there are 64 bit versions of your most frequently used plugins.
  3. Ask the software manufacturers if the versions you have are compatible with Mavericks. If not, you need to use an OS prior to Mavericks, which can potentially be a hassle. I’m sure Cubase 7.5 will give you no problems, but I’m not so certain about the others.

I’d like to ask other members if they have any more items to add to my list.

Good luck.

Hi ipanema! Thank you for answering.
I was thinking to buy at least 8GB ram but, if possible, even 16.
At the moment I have two options: the cheaper one, that I wrote previously, with mac mini, and the more expensive, i.e. the new 15" Mac Book Pro Retina, with 8/16 GB and maybe ntel Core i7 quad-core a 2,0GHz
Turbo Boost to 3,2GHz, 16GB RAM 1600MHz, Unità flash PCIe da 256GB1, Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

Do you think I could get a significant improvement adding an Intel Core i7 quad-core a 2,3GHz, Turbo Boost to 3,5GHz?

I’ll do all the checks you suggest to me, particularly for my MOTU (I think there are but I’m not 100% sure)

Thanks again,

arfo

p.s. I think MOTU drivers should be ok…

http://www.motu.com/download/download_matching_downloads.html?product_id=21

Hi arfo,

I may not be the best person to help you choose a Mac model, but I will tell you whatever I can think of.
As a rule, the more you invest on RAM and CPU power, the happier you’ll be in the long run. You probably assume I mean to tell you to go for the MBP, which I would if didn’t have a couple of concerns. AFAIK, the new MBP models don’t come with an onboard FW port, and I’m not sure if there is workaround for that, at least not that I know of. I have never used thunderbolt, but that may solve the problem. I also don’t know about that turbo boost thing. It’s the first time I’m hearing a Mac can be over clocked! This can potentially put a lot of pressure on the CPU, forcing the CPU fan to run at maximum speed, making a lot of noise. Maybe I’m wrong, so please check these points with a qualified dealer.

There is one more option for you. You can buy a second hand non-retina MBP of a previous generation. The fastest one can cost you a lot less money and comes with everything you need. If you use it for music, you really don’t need a Retina display.
And since the second hand one is unlikely to come with Mavericks, most of your OS compatibility concerns will subside.

Hope this helps. I humbly invite more knowledgeable members to express their views.

Cheers

Hello ipanema,
I think yours are wise advices and I’m still a bit confused about all the possible options: FW vs thunderbolt (i think there’s an adapter), retina vs. non retina (I’m not particularly interested in it), etc.
I’m not an expert about overclocking and I never used so I only reported what I found on Apple web site.

The difficult thing for me is to understand what would be ‘enough’ for me, in terms of power and ram but also for what concerns portability.
MBP are more expensive but mobile while a mac mini would give me more power (and a FW port) but less portability.

I’m coming from an obsolete configuration so I have to understand a lot of things; i rarely used more than thirty audio tracks until now but I could in the future because I also write for orchestral stuff and so I think the more power I could get the better I could work…

I’ve read about apple refurbish http://store.apple.com/it/browse/home/specialdeals/mac but the questions are the same…

I also would like having more opinions about…

Thanx again,

arfo

Thank you for your complement in the beginning of your post.
The fact that you are coming from an obsolete configuration tells me you have never worked under a 64bit OS, which can turn your professional life into a working heaven. This brings a few more ideas to my mind.
Earlier you said you are using EW Symphonic Gold library. Don’t tell me you haven’t contemplated on getting your hands on the Hollywood Diamond Series! Imagine one day you buy them. In order to use that huge and lovely library, you need fast HDs (probably an array of HDs or SSDs to be connected through the thunderbolt port). Here’s what to be concerned about: is it possible/safe to use a single thunderbolt port for both your MUTO and External Disk array?
Then we get to the subject of RAM. You will need to run CUbase in 64bit mode in order to break the barrier of 2GB RAM allocation to every VSTi instance. Even then, 16GB of RAM would seem insufficient since you used the word “future”. With today’s speed of technology, even the word “enough” is getting obsolete! After acquiring the Hollywood series, I was forced to get a slave PC with 64 GB Ram along with VE Pro 5 just to be able to make an orchestral template. Wasn’t expecting that! I’m not trying to terrify you, as you never said you needed a finished project using samples only. So if you only use your system to create a mock-up, you’ll be just fine.
At the risk of repeating myself, you need to make sure there are 64bit versions of your most frequently used audio plugins if you choose to work with Cubase in the 64bit mode. Just to be safe.

I still suggest the second hand older generation MBP. Since no one else has chimed in yet, I guess I’ll be your man for now! :laughing:

I saw someone warn against the Fusion drive in this thread. I have the Fusion drive and have no problems at all. See my sig for system specs. My Mini is a beast.

I, too, was a performance (bench test)-obsessed PC nazi, and have happily left that world behind. I was put in a situation where I had to switch to Mac. I spent the first couple of weeks trying to run it like a PC. Once I gave that up and started learning to use it how it was meant to be used, things went much better. Now, as someone said earlier, you couldn’t pay me to go back to a PC. The workflow is just so much smoother for me.

[/quote]

Hi ipanema, sorry for my late…
The answer is: not for now but I surely want to expand my libraries, ‘jazz oriented’ brass particularly (any advice?..).
Mine is a budget question too, so I have to optimize, and - to quote my self from another forum: I definitely want to try mac, even if it’s a big change, and hoping not to do the wrong thing, also because maybe I find too difficult for me making a precise opinion about a windows system: too factors consider, to many different opinions and offers…
When you speak of a mac, be it a mini or an imac or a mbp, you speak about something more ‘well-defined’…
Maybe I’m only too lazy? Anyway…

My choice at the moment is for a mac mini, with 4GB ram (to upgrade to 16 by myself) and a I7 quad; last doubt is about hd: will a 256 SSD be enough for working with audio (libraries are always heavyier…)? Could I add an internal hd, maybe in a secon time, or it’s only for the server model?
And thank you for being my first man! :wink:

hi Brock, I hope I can say the same very soon! :wink:

arfo

Hi arfo,

If your choice is the Mac Mini, I’d suggest that you pay $100 more and get the 2.6 GHz CPU. As for hard disks, only the server model has room for a second drive. However, if you’re on a budget, you can always add an external USB3 drive which is fast enough for most libraries. You can decide the capacity by the size of your current libraries, but remember it’s best not to fill it up. So for example, if you currently need 800GB for your audio and libraries, go for a 2TB model (or at least 1.5TB) and not a 1TB one.
A single 256GB SSD can only handle your OS and applications and documents. Don’t fill that up either. Hard Drives inherently get slow or unreliable when they get close to their full capacity.
And as for RAM, the more, the merrier!
I’m sure you will not be disappointed with this configuration.

I really can’t suggest any jazz or big band libraries off the top of my head, but there are a few good ones around. Try some googling and demo listening. I’ll be here if you need more advice.

Cheers

Actually, all current Mac Minis have room for a second drive. It’s just tricky to install the second drive, and I believe you need a kit to have the right parts. There’s a little cable and screws, etc., you need. I think OWC sells a kit to help you do this.

Also, you can swap out hard drives if you want to increase internal storage later on too… you could throw in an SSD, etc…, so it’s more flexible than people may realize. However, it’s not “friendly” to make those types of changes, and I don’t know if it voids your warranty. And of course you can add external storage as has been stated.

Finally, I should add that this generation of Mac Minis is actually pretty old in its life cycle – this model came out in October 2012 – so Apple may be replacing it very soon. Of course, if you need to get it now, then go for it, it’s a great little machine… but if you have a little more time, it’s worth checking out the current status. You may want to stick with this model anyway, since some rumors are suggesting that Apple may be shrinking the Mac Mini in the next revision, which could very well remove the two hard drive capability… so this might be the last of the pseudo-expandable Mac Minis. Who knows? Do some searching and judge for yourself on the current status of the upcoming Mac Mini refresh. It may or may not be worth waiting for.

Good luck! In any event, go with the best CPU you can, and by all means, be generous with the RAM as others have pointed out.

Hi ipanema, hi uarte!
Thank you for all your precious advices; sorry for my late but I didn’t receive any notification about your post…
Actually I had read about the possibility that Apple’s going to change something about Mac Mini but I think I need to change now so I’ll get all the remaining informations I can but I think I’m going to buy it… :wink:

what do you exactly mean? … :confused:

arfo

Hi arfo,
lol, don’t worry yourself! I guess what Brock generally means is to go for it and never look back. :wink:
The fact of the matter is that Mac and Windows are two different operating systems. Many people seem to believe that Mac is easier and more user-friendly (whatever that means! I’ll never start a platform preference argument in this forum.) All I’m saying is that it takes some time to get used to the “ease” of the Mac OS for such people moving from Windows. In my own case, it happened twice: from Atari TOS to Windows, and from Windows to Mac OS. The former wasn’t that easy, if you know what I mean! I may sound biased towards Mac, but since I use both platforms at the same time, and I’m quite happy with my set up, I plead neutral.

Let me draw you another card: did you know you could have both Mac and Windows on your MacMini and boot it up under your OS of choice at any time? Just a restart. The process of installing Windows on a Mac is a no-brainer. Mac OS comes with a utility called “Bootcamp Assistant” which shows you the way. In my own experience, Windows always ran smoother and more reliable when installed on a Mac machine, but thats just me. Anyways, you can have both OS’s on the same machine and test or check them out against each other and pick your choice.

One last thing: earlier you asked for any suggestions on a jazz library. I came across this wonderful library called “Broadway Big Band” from Fable Sounds. Check it out.

Have a nice day.

I know, I had an Atari too (st 1024); it seems another era… :slight_smile:

I knew something but, obviously, I’ve not tried yet; I hope to go Apple Store tomorrow… :smiley:
Does this dual system use, compromise ‘integrity’ of the machine someway?
In windows, I mean, everytime you install something you ‘burden’ register…

Great advice! Great sounds! But not exactly cheap… I’ll keep it in mind for the future!

Thanx again and nice day to you too,

arfo

Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas; in this case, Windows. Nothing in Windows can affect the Mac partition, so again there is nothing to worry about. And Windows 7 is a very solid OS. You can’t mess it up that easily.
Go get the little beast already!!

As ipanema indicated, it’s a separate partition, and it does work very well. By default, the Mac partition is readable, but not writable to the Windows partition, and likewise the Windows partition is readable but not writable to the Mac partition. You can also format another drive with an ExFAT partition, for example, that will be readable/writable by both OSes. No need to install additional drivers for sharing files between them.

The only real “danger” of running it like this is if you use a partitioning tool INSIDE Windows, which can of course screw things up on the Mac side too. You can also screw things up by manually partitioning the drive AFTER Windows is installed from the Mac side. If you ever need to do partition changes again, make sure you read forum tips for precise instructions, or realize you may lose functionality of your Windows partition. Or you just have to make sure not to mess with partitions on that drive, ever, after you install Windows. :slight_smile:

The only other potential issue is of course Apple itself. Periodically they will release updates that have been known to cause issues, I hate to say. So just use caution, common sense, back things up, and make sure you follow the directions Apple gives you for installation to the letter. User error is the most common reason why Windows on Mac stops working.

Other than that, frankly, I’ll have to reiterate that Windows really runs well on Macs. :slight_smile: In fact, I’m doing it right this second answering this post.

Thank you, once more, for answering.
Yoday I finally ordered my mac mini! :smiley:
Hope I’m doing well but I’ll receive it only in the last week of march so I have to wait now…
A last doubt (for now…): is it possible to have a dual monitor with two vga monitors, not mirroring…
I’ve read a lot of threads but I still don’ understand it clearly…

Thanx,

arfo

It depends on the graphs card (and it’s outputs). The mini has two possible ways of connecting monitors; one HDMI port and one Thunderbolt port. You’ll use the HDMI port for one monitor which leaves the Thunderbolt port and you really should consider using this for an external hard-drive.

Technically you can daisy chain a monitor and a hard drive, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Also Thunderbolt equipped monitors are still quite expensive. If you really need to run two monitors, I would recommend that you set you sights on a model that is a bit more expandable than the Mini. There is a reason why it’s Apples cheapest computer. :wink:

OSX can handle multiple monitors with ease. However, if you do decide to run two monitors, don’t forget to uncheck “Displays have separate Spaces” in the Mission Control pane of System Preferences. (I believe it is checked by default.) Cubase don’t like it when this “feature” is checked.