PC Upgrade And Cubase 7 Questions

I just upgraded my PC and have some questions about Cubase 7 with it.

My new system is Windows 7 64 bit, Core 3 processor and 16 gig of RAM

1. Will I have any problems running Cubase on this system? I had some slowness on my old PC (Pentium 4, 3 gig RAM) but I’m thinking this new PC should be more than sufficient. Thoughts?

2. How can I find out if any of my plugins will run on the new system? I’m assuming when I reinstall Cubase itself it will install the 64 bit version and all plugins that come with it will be 64 bit. But anything I downloaded from the Internet will be 32 bit and not compatible, correct? If so, how do I find out if those plugins have 64 bit versions. I’m mostly interested in Limiter6 which IMO is the best limiter I’ve used considering it’s free.

3. Will I have to download new drivers for my M-Audio Axiom air 49? The ones I downloaded for my old system work great and I’m hoping the 64 bit drivers will be just as good. I’m more concerned about the firmware for the keyboard. I updated it when I first installed it. Will I have to update it again or does that have nothing to do with the operating system I’m running it on?

I’m really looking forward to digging into this DAW with all my new EWQL stuff that I can finally run. It took me a little time but I’ve really gotten the hang of Cubase 7 and really love it. I guess 35 years of hardware modular recording, mixing and mastering wasn’t for nothing. Once I figured out where all the “knobs” were this became a piece of cake. And MIDI editing is amazing on this thing. I can do stuff I would have had to wrestle with for hours to do with my hardware studio.

Loving Cubase 7 more and more everyday.

I would have gone at least for an i5 for that extra oomph, but the i3 will do. Hopefully, it’s not a first-gen CPU (the initial i3 kinda sucked…)

1. Will I have any problems running Cubase on this system? I had some slowness on my old PC (Pentium 4, 3 gig RAM) but I’m thinking this new PC should be more than sufficient. Thoughts?

Your new system is leaps and bounds better than the old one.

1. How can I find out if any of my plugins will run on the new system? I’m assuming when I reinstall Cubase itself it will install the 64 bit version and all plugins that come with it will be 64 bit. But anything I downloaded from the Internet will be 32 bit and not compatible, correct? If so, how do I find out if those plugins have 64 bit versions. I’m mostly interested in Limiter6 which IMO is the best limiter I’ve used considering it’s free.

Nothing is “automatically” 64 bit. When you install Cubase, you can decide whether to install the x64 or x86 version. Remember than even if you have 16 gb of RAM, the x86 version cannot address more than 4 gb of memory.
If you install the x64 version, all the Steinberg plugins will either be 64 bit or internally bridged. The problem is when you need to bridge third-party 32-bit VST’s. Unfortunately, the built-in VSTBridge isn’t exactly stellar. If you want to keep using your old x86 plugs, I STRONGLY suggest you to buy jBridge (it’s a $20 download.) You can find it right here: jBridge ( for Windows ) | J's stuff

1. Will I have to download new drivers for my M-Audio Axiom air 49?

Only if you install the 64-bit version. Drivers have nothing to do with your particular CPU, they only come in 32- and 64-bit versions and work with every computer (at least they should…)

Thanks. I just purchased the JBridge. I can’t believe they don’t have automatic download but whatever. Hopefully, I’ll actually get it within 24 hours.

In the meantime, install of Cubase 7 64 bit went well. We’ll see how it goes from there.