PDF generation from command line

And there’s your problem. With all layouts selected, and in Graphics Export mode, you need to set the Job Type to Normal and ensure that “All Pages” is selected. The asterisks and the fact that neither “All Pages” nor “Page Range” is selected (in your screenshot) means that you’ve got at least one layout that’s NOT set to “Normal” and “All Pages”.

edit: it could even be that some layouts are set to export in Color and others in Mono. Make sure that that’s consistent, too, or you’ll likely trip up the exporter.

I edited my post above, Leo, but this actually happens to me often: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=154730. I don’t think it’s related to having altered any settings… it seems to be default behavior.

In that case, the answer is that you can’t currently reliably use the Export All Layouts As PDF command without manually ensuring that consistent Graphics Export settings are in place. The good news is that you should only need to set this once for each file, assuming you don’t have cause to print or export an individual layout at any point.

We selected Job Type Normal and All Pages and then hit the keyboard shortcut. Didn’t make a difference.

Seems like there are a few glaring bugs with this feature so far. Who in their right mind would use Export All Layouts and not want all pages?

Actually, there’s a known bug here: Export Layouts (key command) - Dorico - Steinberg Forums
Sorry to have lead you all up the garden path.

(double post)

We got around the problem by using Keyboard Maestro as Nikola Kołodziejczyk suggested, and just emulating pushing Cmd-P, Cmd-A, click “Graphics”, click “Export”.

Thanks everyone

I’ve found on occasion that the problem was in the filename options I had set up. If you don’t include page number in the file name, all the pages print, but they overwrite each previous pages. IOW, if your file name template is “$t - $l”, then “songtitle instrument.png” page 2 will overwrite page 1 of said file. If you add $p to the file name then each file outputted wiill have a unique name.

This topic is about PDF creation, which exports one file per layout, not one file per page.

…but this thread is about PDF creation, which exports one file per layout, not one file per page.

Ah yes, sorry to clutter the discussion

Well,now that you have said it, it is interesting to know.

Hello. I am in a similar situation and have used Musescore to automate 1) importing an XML-file, and 2) exporting the corresponding pdf file (using: mscore -o ‘My Score.pdf’ ‘My Score.mscz’ from within Python).
I want to know if there is a way to do this with Dorico. As I understand there still does not exist any way to call Dorico via command line, and solutions like Keyboard Maestro are not acceptable in my case. I understand that Lua scripting makes much automation possible, but I do not understand if this allows me to do a complete automation of the described workflow as allowed by Musescore.
Do any other methods (maybe like a plugin) exist, that allow this automation or am I stuck with Musescore?

Not that I know of. I would pay for an upgrade ten times over just to be able to assign a key command to export the current layout to a pre-determined folder as a PDF (that is, pressing X always exports to Users/Dan/whatever. Bonus: be able to assign multiple key commands to export to multiple locations).
@Alexander_Ploetz has been digging around in that sort of thing with scripting; he may have some ideas!

2 Likes