Perc Kit Problem

Hi All,

As you can see from the attachment, I’ve got a problem with a perc kit. The instruments are, from bottom up on a grid, bass drum, snare drum, and cymbals. The problem is that in the bars with all three instruments, the rests from the snare drum staff get bumped up to the cymbals staff, and the rests from the cymbals staff get bumped up into the air.

I freely admit that I’m not yet certified to fly solo on perc kits, but I’ve researched this every way I can think of, and I just can’t figure it out.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Lew, can you post the offending project here? It’s difficult to diagnose from the picture alone.

Sorry, Dan, should have thought of that. I’ve cut most of the project out to save on size, but the problem persists.

Good luck with it!

Carmen Suite - Toreador Song.dorico.zip (715 KB)

Lew, I don’t believe this is a Dorico file.

musicmaven, it IS a Dorico file, it’s just not zipped! Remove “.zip” from the filename rather than actually unzipping it.

Thanks Leo, I was able to look at the file. If this helps anyone else solve it, I noticed that after removing each instrument from the kit, it appears that the snare part has both notes and repeat % markings, which seems odd. I would think you would want one or the other… perhaps this is the root of the problem.
Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.43.46 AM.png

the funny thing is that reducing the distance between cymbal and snare cures the problem…sort of, one would think the opposite perhaps… :question:

Well, that’s just weird, fv. As you say, definitely counterintuitive.

And as an additional piece of info, when I switched the snare drum to downstem/voice two, the problem appeared in the other direction—the rests popped down from the snare to the bass, instead of up to the cymbals.