Percussion bracket not showing

In layout options, I’ve set the ‘orchestral’ type bracketing for my piece. However, I have two staves, timpani and mark tree, which Dorico is not applying a bracket to (these are my only percussion instruments). I tried using engrave mode to add a custom bracket, but when I do, the other brackets for woodwinds, brass, voice, and strings disappear (like there’s a toggle switch or something).

I do not have any of the brown signposts anywhere in my piece for custom bracketing, so when I apply orchestral style, all are great except percussion.

I do have a few condensing changes on the first few measures, but beyond that nothing is customized.

I should add that when I view in engrave mode (even with the custom bracket), everything appears correct; however, when I view in write mode (galley mode), it’s as I described above (bracket just for percussion, all others disappear).

What am I doing wrong?

The picture below is before I apply the custom bracket for percussion and is in write mode.

Have you tried putting the Timpani and Mark tree players into the same player group in Setup mode?

Dorico won’t bracket timpani and mark tree together because they are in different instrument families. If you have Dorico Pro 5, you can use Library > Instrument Families to edit the families such that they are in the same one, and at that point Dorico should start to bracket them together.

1 Like

Yes, I tried that, but it didn’t work, but I just saw Daniel’s response and that completely makes sense. Thank you both! Your customer service is the best in the world!!! And did I say I love Dorico 5?

Just in case you didn’t see my response to Lillie…

Yes, I tried that, but it didn’t work, but I just saw Daniel’s response and that completely makes sense. Thank you both! Your customer service is the best in the world!!! And did I say I love Dorico 5?

1 Like