Percussion Expression Maps?

Hi guys…or perhaps ULF, hope you are well!..:slight_smile:
I am creating a NEW EWQLSO Platinum Expression Map for Dorico…and desperately need some help! :mrgreen:
As Dorico now have percussion HSO expression maps…can you please explain how I can expand my EWQLSO Platinum expression map to INCLUDE the percussion as seen in THIS pic:

I have loaded 5 instruments in a new score:

1. Flute
  2. Bell Lyre
  3. Snare drum
  4. Tambourine
  5. Cow Bells
    As you can see in the picture above the “Orchestral or Melodic Instruments (non perc)” use the HSO exp map eg:
    Flute (ch1)

…but the percussion is confusing. Some eg.
2)Bell Lyre (Ch2) does NOT use the Percussion Map???;
3) Snare Drum (Ch3) use GMidi??? No perc expr map? WHY?;
4 & 5) Tambourine & Cow Bells uses HSO’s Perc expr map?

HOW does one create an EWQLSO Platinum Percussion Map and WHICH perc instrument (as evident above) must be included in the “ewql Perc Expr Map”?

Last Questions regarding the 2 attached pics PLEASE!:

1. Must I add a “Natural” articulation in the “Techniques” listbox to all my instruments with 24 as :Add Note Event" in the “On Events” “ACTIONS” box at the bottom?
  2. Must I select CC11 and NOT “Note Velocity” in the “Volume Dynamic” Box?
  3. What is the maps’s ID text box represent.
  4. The "xmap.[hso]…“and xmap.[user]…”…hso and user words…does it mean anything?
  5. Why is “Plugins” textbox empty in the ewql exp map? Must there not be something entered in it?

THAT IT GUYS! PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!

Thank you so much for your time!
Hans Nel

Percussion maps are separate from expression maps, so they are created in the separate Play > Percussion Maps dialog. Pages 31 to 33 in the Dorico 1.2 Version History document explain this dialog in detail.

Bell lyre wouldn’t use a percussion map because it’s a pitched instrument. Snare drum will use the ‘General MIDI’ percussion map because the snare instrument in Dorico is configured to use the various snare sounds in the GM Percussion kit, rather than the HSO Snare Drum (you can access that one by creating a “side drum” rather than a “snare drum”). Even once you have created your own percussion maps for the various unpitched patches in EWQLSO, Dorico will never choose them by default: you’ll need to both load the appropriate patch into EWQL Play, then choose the appropriate percussion map in the Endpoint Setup dialog. (This is all explained on those pages in the Version History document).

Daniel,
Perhaps you could help solve a small problem with GPO bass drum. The instrument has left hand, right hand and roll notes, plus for left and right hand it has natural and damp techniques. The actual percussion map does not allow for this differentiation, because there is only one assignment per MIDI note and one key switch, if necessary. I tried to combine percussion map (L,R, roll) with expression map (nat., damp) in endpoint declaration, but this did not bring any changes. I also tried different noteheads, but there I got to completely nowhere, as even the declared percussion playing techniques assigned to noteheads for bass drum did not show in Write mode, not to mention playing damped notes. So, what should I do to make GPO bass drum play all notes and modes.
Witold

Please take a look at the attached project, in which all four of the sounds in the GPO5 n-Bass Drum patch are mapped. There are two ingredients you need to look at.

First, in Setup mode, open the player’s card, hover over the ‘Bass drum’ instrument label, and click when the chevron > appears, then click Edit Percussion Playing Techniques in the menu. In the dialog you’ll see that the left and right hits are defined in the top section, while the roll and the aggressive hit are defined in the bottom section when you select the notehead labelled ‘Natural’.

Secondly, in Play mode, choose Play > Percussion Maps and take a look at the percussion map for ‘GPO5 n-Bass Drum’. The crucial thing is that the playing techniques you choose in the percussion map exactly match the playing techniques chosen in the Edit Percussion Playing Techniques instrument.

The final ingredient, which is hopefully obvious, is that you also need to tell Dorico which expression map to use for the channel into which you’ve loaded the ‘n-Bass Drum’ patch in ARIA, which you do in the Endpoint Setup dialog.

For anybody else who wants to produce further maps for GPO5 instruments, you’ll find a decent amount of information about each patch here.
gpo-bass-drum.dorico.zip (149 KB)

Daniel,
Thank you very much for the solution, it is perfect for GPO5 n-Drum Bass, but not entirely useful for GPO4 n-Bass Drum KS. GPO4 n-Bass Drum KS has additionally 2 keyswiches, C0 - full decay and D0 - damped that can be combined with left hand and right hand hits (velocity controlled) plus a roll controlled by CC#1. I solved this problem by cheating a bit. The solution is banal, it suffices to use a low-register instrument like, f.e. tuba, connect it to GPO4 n-Drum Bass KS in Aria or Kontakt, use a simple expression map with two kesywitches (C0 and D0) and you have a full control. The notation is obviously a non-percussion, but if I want a percussionist to play LH/RH (to avoid machine gun effect) for longer time and passages it is easier to write notes than repeat LH/RH text. The roll can be controlled in play mode by drawing curves for CC#1. Nonetheless, it is cheating, so the question would be: expression and percussion maps cannot be combined (yet)?
Witold

You can define keyswitches in the percussion map: when you have a note selected in the map, you can click ‘Add Key Switch Alternative’, which will allow you to specify what keyswitch note should be played at the same time as the main pitch in order to access another sound.

Daniel,
I have tried it before I even asked for your assistance. This does not work as the instrument itself allows. Now in the percussion map you can declare one key switch per note, so if GPO4 bass drum has 3 notes (LH, RH and roll) and I declare D0 to RH it will always be played “damp”, no matter if I want it or not (unless there is a trick to dynamically change “damp” to “nat” available somewhere else). GPO4 bass drum KS allows for playing these two hands freely choosing if the sound should be “nat” or “damp” at any moment. The percussion map does not offer this chance yet. The possibility of combining percussion map with expression map would solve this issue for all instances of percussion instruments that use at least two different key switches for a given sound.