Percussion Headache

Percussion has always been my biggest hang-up in any music notation software. I think I’m getting close to figuring this out, but here’s the issue:

I want percussion to be labeled Percussion 1, Percussion 2, Percussion 3. Percussion 1 is piatti and sus. cym. (unpitched), so I put them into a kit. Percussion 2 is chimes, mark tree, and triangle (2/3 are unpitched). Percussion 3 in glockenspiel (pitched). I grouped percussion two by added the instruments to the same player (see photo with result).

What did I do wrong? The percussion 2 part is named with whichever instrument was listed first. I want them to be labeled numerically and all should have 5-line staves. Percussion 1 has a percussion clef and the other 2 have treble clefs.
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 8.13.38 PM
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 8.13.46 PM

A more efficient way to do this might be to label your Players “Perc. 1, 2… etc” and then set your staff labels to show the Player Name rather than the Instrument Name

You can also set each Player to show as a 5-line staff by default in each Layout:

Of course, if you want two instruments playing at once on the same staff, you will need a Percussion Kit. But the same steps above can apply and you might also need to indicate your instruments when they first appear (if you want that).

1 Like

Hi @jjhoppermusic , following the suggestions of @DanielMuzMurray I made as an exercise for me, a setup with your described percussions (with ww and strings just to fill it up). I share it here: maybe can be of some help, …otherwise ignore it :slightly_smiling_face:
percussions setup example.dorico (627.7 KB)

Some observations of what I did:
-renamed the Players in Percussion 1,2,3
-set the player name to be shown in Staff Labels
-adjusted in Engrave Mode the Bracket to include all 3 percussionist
-changed the noteheads in the percussion kits (ad libitum…:slight_smile:
-set in Layout options/Players/Percussion all to 5 lines for full score (for parts slight different settings as you can see choosing the parts layouts)
-the naming of the playing instruments on the staff is a combination of Percussion Legend, Instrument Change (automatically created by Dorico but I made the Instrument Change label the same size of Percussion Legend in Library/Paragraph Styles) and Staff text (for the Glockenspiel in Full Score, since the Staff Label is Player 3)
-switched off Instrument Change for the Perc. 2 part so the staff labels are clear but if you prefer you can have as Instrument Change.
-and of course activated the staff labels for the parts (since the name in the box on the part is only Player x)

Maybe there are some things that can be done better and more efficiently. I am glad to hear suggestions :slight_smile:

This is great! Very helpful! Thank you!

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

1 Like