Percussion mapping - Dorico 4 & FR

Hi there !

As my workflow very often involves programming my drum parts in Cubase then having to prepare the scores in Dorico for the drummers I play with (and other musicians) when I’m done composing/recording/arranging, I always need to map in Cubase my MIDI drum track notes to another track matching Dorico’s percussion mapping.

So I made a spreadsheet a while ago in Dorico 3.5 (that I posted here actually) by exporting the chromatic scale from C-2 to C8 from Cubase then importing it in Dorico to figure out how each note was mapped.
In Dorico 3.5 I found out that a lot of elements were left blank and not mapped so this was very difficult to make it work efficiently not to waste time, however I’ve just done the same thing with Dorico 4 and noticed the team has extended the mapping system !

So here’s the spreadsheet for those of you who need to do the same kind of work, hope this can save you time !
I left the Dorico 3.5 mapping in it as well for those who haven’t upgraded yet to v4.

Cheers,

Julien
Percussion Mapping.pdf (83.0 KB)

Feature request : having a system in the MIDI import section to be able to map each note imported to a new element and being able to save the template, this would save so much time rather than doing a workaround in Cubase !

Just so I’m clear: the vertical axis is pitch and the horizontal axis is octave?
MIDI note numbers might have been clearer; which octave is Middle C in your Cubase implementation?

Yes vertical is pitch (the notes are indicated in the left column) and horizontal are Octaves (I could have indicated that but initially I just created this for myself, not knowing I’d share it so I didn’t bother writing the word octave as it made sense to me haha)
My Cubase is set to default so it should be the same middle C as in Dorico, as I’ve never encountered any issue with other pitched instruments when importing from MIDI files created with Cubase

To be clear, when you import unpitched percussion via MIDI, provided Dorico knows what percussion map you want it to use (which you can set in the MIDI Import Options dialog by showing the Advanced Editor and then setting the Percussion map drop-down to the percussion map you want to use), it will automatically create new kit components in the resulting percussion kit, so it should never (in theory) omit any notes that were present in your MIDI file, provided those notes are mapped in your percussion map. Even if the kit components don’t exist, Dorico will add them to the first available line or space in the kit, and you can then edit them to your taste in the Edit Percussion Kit dialog.

4 Likes

Oh thanks Daniel, hadn’t noticed that option yet in the advanced MIDI import!
Great then, I just have to create once a percussion map and it should be easier from now on.