Percussion maps in GPO 5

In my learning process of Dorico todays subject was Percussion maps. I want to set up a Percussion kit, using the GPO5-patch Percussion Accessories KS, which includes a bunch of unpitched percussion instruments (e.g. triangle, cymbals, shakers etc.)

Creating the Percussion Map was pretty straight forward for all the instruments in the patch. But when I’ve added a couple of instruments in my percussion kit, how do I assign one instrument to a specific midi note number in the Percussion map? (E.g. Suspended cymbal to my choice of cymbal in the GPO-patch)

I have watched the YT-video that explains percussion maps, and towards the end of the film Anthony talks a bit about using another sample libraries than HSSE, but he didn’t say anything about how the connection between the Percussion maps and the Percussion Kit works.

I guess there are information somewhere about this but I can’t find it, so if anyone could direct me to that I’d be so glad!

Thanks! :smiley: :sunglasses:

I’m afraid the only information available at present is in the Dorico 1 Version History document, from page 33 onwards, which documents how to set up playing techniques for percussion instruments, and how this then maps onto the entries in the Percussion Map dialog.

Oki, thanks Daniel, I’ll take a look and see if I can sort it out.

Daniel,
Now I’ve had some time to sit down with the Percussion maps, and it works really great!! :slight_smile: I Love it!

But I have two questions:

1. When filling in the information in Percussion Maps → Edit drum Kit Note, there are some instruments missing in the instrument list (e.g. Wind chimes etc…) but I can’t find out how to add custom instruments not listed, is that possible or is that list hard coded?

2. When writing orchestral percussion parts I’ve come to the conclusion that the easiest and best looking way to do it is just adding instruments to the player and not combining the instruments into a kit. My only problem is that I can’t find out how to get a label on the first played instrument. All other instrument have warnings and labels, as in all instrument changes, but the first one doesn’t get any label since it’s not an actual instrument change. I know I can use alt-x, but that is more like a workaround rather than a nice automated function. Or are there a bettar way to achieve the layout as on the attached pic?

You can’t add your own instruments at the moment, though we do of course plan this for the future. In the meantime, if you tell me which instruments you’re missing I’ll look into adding them.

I agree that in that kind of part there should be a label for the initial instrument as well, and this is on our list for the future. For the time being you’ll have to add it as text, I’m afraid.

Oki, thanks Daniel, then I know!

I’ll get back to you with a list of missing instruments when I’ve worked through the percussion maps! :nerd:

Daniel,
Here’s a list of instruments that’d be nice to have in te list of un-pitched percussion:

Wind chimes
Belltree
Slapstick / Clapper
Gong / China gongs
Cymbal (small, medium & large)
Piatti
Wind machine

Cheers! :ugeek:

You should find plenty of options for gongs and cymbals amongst the existing instruments, at least, Mats.

Yes, of course I know I can se any instrument to make it work for now. :+1::wink:

What I mean is that large and small gongs, clash cymbals, and other cymbals of various sizes are already included. You don’t need to use a different instrument: you can use the ones specially provided.