Percussion notation bug (quirk) in version 2.2

You can select individual notes in the tie chain in Engrave mode (which I stated in my last reply).

It took me a few tries to figure out, but it works as advertised. I made sure to select the notehead, not the stem or the slashes.

(Seems I overlapped with Rob.)

Are you going into Engrave mode and THEN trying to select a single note?

If you are selecting in Write mode you will select the whole tie chain.

Does it mean that the owners of Element license (Iā€™m on Pro) are unable to fix this behavior of tremolo? Definetly it has a musical, not only engraving sense.

It could mean that the owners of Element license stick to a slur instead of a tie in this caseā€¦

It seems that the rule is simple: if the last note in the tie chain is shorter then a quater note (e.g. 8th or 16th), it should have the tremolo mark hidden as default. If one would have it shown ā€“ letā€™s go to Engrave mode.

If Elements could do everything that Pro could do, there wouldnā€™t be any reason for it to exist at all. Different users are going to be peeved about different things that are missing, of course.

Daniel - I did try to select a single note in Engrave mode, believe me! It absolutely wouldnā€™t, until I enlarged the screen image (greatly). Yes, OK, fixed; then zoomed it smaller so the image was usable again.

I still maintain that life would be a lot simpler if Dorico didnā€™t override my original input. I really donā€™t understand the justification for having to go through the hoop at all. Why canā€™t I input a note with a tremolo, then a tie, and then a note without a tremolo, and not have Dorico decide that of course what I must have meant was to have a tremolo on everything. As it is, Iā€™ve still got to switch to Engrave, fiddle around to correct what Dorico has changed from my original input, and go back to Write. This is, after all, a common notation requirement, across all instrument groups, and itā€™s a task that is being made distinctly harder, not easier.

And why is that Single Stem (which relates to the tie chain) is in Engrave, when (for example) Articulation/Position (also in tie chain) is in Write? I think it would help if I could understand the logic behind that.

Canā€™t agree with you, Rob. Do you really think that all musucian around make their lives with that Gouldā€™s book in their pockets? Of course not.
Just imagine that hundreds of musician on Elements, mostly young musicians, starts to generate thousand of scores and parts with a tremolo signs on the last 8th note in a chain. Most of them will even never realize that something goes wrong. They will not fake a tie with a slur, they will leave it as it is. They will trust in Dorico ā€“ widely known as semantic notation software.
As for me it is a question of ecology.

If you have a triad in a tie chain with a tremolo, you have to select each noteheads clicking 3 times with a mouse. No chances to select all noteheads by one click in Engrave mode.
If you occasionally select just 2 notes of 3 and then change ā€˜single stem tremoloā€™ option, the tremolo sign continues to stay here because of the third note stays keeping it tightly. And you begin to click on noteheads again looking for the one previously unselected. Ohhā€¦

Itā€™s only ā€œa common notation requirementā€ if you work with scores where itā€™s commonly used. The same applies to lots of other notational things - tablature, chord symbols, microtonal accidentals, figured bass, etc, etc.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever used it in the last 50 years. But then you might not use figured bass in 50 years of music making either, after you finished with theory exams where it was part of the syllabus.

Dear folks,
I repeat myself here, but I think it will be useful for some of you : alt-shift-click is a very powerful tool, since it selects each time a different object selectable in a crowded area. For instance, use it with a normal zoom ration to select the last note in a tie chain in Engrave mode. The note should be selected at the second or third click (always alt-shift-click the same spot). This is way faster than zooming in, selecting, zooming out. It can also be used to select certain notes in a chord.
Hope this helps !

Of course they donā€™t. But Iā€™ve learned one thing in a lifetime of music making: many musicians are 100% convinced that whatever they think is right, and that everyone who disagrees with them is therefore wrong.

That might explain why many of them donā€™t look at reference books very often, of course :wink:

Marc, it seems that itā€™s impossible to select all noteheads in a chord with alt-shift-click. At least I canā€™t. But each noteheads has itā€™s own flag for ā€˜single stem tremoloā€™, and I donā€™t understand why (what for).
tremolo triad.jpg

Itā€™s the reason for not to give them a wrong instrument :slight_smile:

The point remains though that what I entered was right, Dorico decided it wasnā€™t, and ā€˜correctedā€™ it. I wish it wouldnā€™t interfere so.

To select all noteheads in a chord, you click the stem (without alt-click). My remark was for when the selected item is never chosen at a certain zoom level, or when itā€™s crowded (in Engrave mode, if you need to select a frameā€¦)

Itā€™s not true. Clicking a stem in Write mode selects all tied noteheads, clicking a stem in Engrave mode selects a stem itself.

Yes, Dr. Music, you are right. Every time I need to select multiple notes, I use Write mode and then I go to Engrave mode (if the needed modification is available in Engrave mode only). Thereā€™s been an ongoing (and veeery long) discussion about navigation in Write mode, and I am confident that when the team have the time to go back at it, note selection will be so easy in Write mode (and honestly, it already is easy), this toggle between modes will become a second nature.