Percussion Players

Hello,

I am trying to create a percussionist in my score that has to play multiple instruments in succession. Like in this picture.Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 19.09.51|690x382 .

The problem, is that whenever i add a new instrument to the player it retains single line staves for each instrument as opposed to keeping them on the same staff and changing within that. In this video (where i got that screenshot from) Combine Multiple Pitched and Un-pitched Percussion Instruments | Discover Dorico with John Barron - YouTube it does it automatically, but i can’t seem to get it to work.

Many thanks,
Louie

In Galley view you always see separate instruments.
Have you checked Page view?

Jesper

Galley view:

Page view:

Also: check that you added new instruments to the player and not new players

1 Like

I was definitely in page view, and I’m pretty sure I added it to one player. However, some how it has just started working and I have no idea why haha. thank you for your help!!

Great, just wanted to make sure.

Jesper

1 Like

Thank you!

I just had another question, is there a way to retain a percussion legend/instrument label at the beginning of the staff, but above the staff and name each percussion staff Percussion 1, percussion 2 etc.?

does that make sense. I’ll leave a screenshot of what i mean: Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 19.01.15 and then also retain the instrument change text such as “to glock.” when needed.

Also having this really weird issue where in one layout of my score the percussion instruments aren’t reducing into their players and are instead staying as a staff per instrument: Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 19.21.39

any help would be very welcome
thank you!!

You probably deactivated ‘allow instrument changes’ for that layout…

1 Like

Unfortunately, that isn’t the solution. I have it checked on that layout and it is working for the other players

Ok, are the empty bars in those instruments really empty? (Such as items/rests stuck with force duration e. g. ) Perhaps you can attach a minimal version of the project here?

Not that i can tell but here is the project so you can take a look. It is occurring in the 3rd layout (movement 3)Symphony No.1 - Louie Taylor .dorico (2.4 MB)

in bar 34 there is a strange staff change… removing that seems to fix it…

1 Like

You’re a life saver! Thank you so much

did you ever get a chance to look at this question i asked earlier

Well, removing the odd staff change I mentioned above solved the percussion 1 layout and also the full score layout for me (and I assume also for you… why would you else call me a life saver? :wink: , but if you meant to refer to the problem of not being able to use Layout Names as staff labels, that will, according to Daniel, be possible in the next version of Dorico.

1 Like

haha yes you did indeed solve my problem with the score layout. Yes, I was referring to the layout names as staff labels. Do you know if there is a work around?

I think you deactivated allow instrument changes for specific layout

1 Like

What I usually do is putting [1],[2], [3] etc. before each and every instrument name. Gets the job done, but not as elegant as could be…

1 Like

That’s actually a great work around!! Thank you

… And using full names as labels and abbreviated names as changes

1 Like

… That is: using full names as labels and abbreviated names as changes, and numbers on the full names only… :wink:

2 Likes