Performance headaches yet again

Good God…

I would seriously consider formatting your system drive and starting from scratch, something somewhere is seriously corrupt…

Ive run full system diagnostics scan & repair, everything checks out OK, its just Cubase thats the problem :man_shrugging: :frowning_face:

I understand, all I am saying is that once you have installed Cubase, you can’t just uninstall it, and then re-install it to fix any fatal issues.

There are bits and pieces of the program all over Windows and will never recover unless the disc is formatted and start again.

If you have another drive, try a fresh Windows installation. Start from the ground up, this might work.

Hi
I am not sure but it seems that issues I have had too are similar to your ones.
Please have a look at:

Maybe the workaround I found helps you

Sorry, but this just bollocks. Of course you can try to reinstall Cubase, but I never heard, that an issue was fixed by doing so, thats not because Cubase has gone corrupt, its because most problems come from bad drivers (Hardware), audio drivers and faulty plugins. Even if you then reinstall Windows, that wont solve your issue, if you install the same drivers/plugins.

yeah I agree, the uninstall windows bit is bollocks (Ive reinstalled cubase though)
I have an old komplete audio 6 sound interface, it may be an issue with its driver its a bit ancient, but other than getting a new sound interface theres not a lot i can do about it since native instruments havent upsdated the driver in about 10 years. Its just annoying that my system can work perfectly well for a long time then it randomly starts screwing up

Thank you for that lovely response.

Cubase is full of bugs and gets corrupted over time. My last reiteration of installed windows had a Cubase nearly impossible to work with.

I reinstalled everything as they were, and guess what, no problems…

You can’t also keep using Windows forever, as it too gets issues over time.

If all problems were about hardware and drivers, then nobody would ever had to re-install windows ever again, but for a faulty disc…

There is a reason a perfectly working Cubase becomes unusable.

Well, I tried to help, but as I talk bollocks, enjoy your glitchy Cubase.

Of course Windows can get corrupted, such as any OS. Depends on what you did with it.
But the times where a certain windows update messed with your system performance are long over. When taking the time and investigating the issue, it is 99,9% not a performance issue introduced by a windows update, but a fishy program, which messed with system files, a old/new/updated driver, corrupted system files by unpredicted shutdowns/hardware issues , or just plain user error. And even if an update is the fault, you still have the possibility to uninstall it. On top you obviously have your system backed up anyway, so that is not an issue as well.

I work in the IT for about 10 years now and of all the times people claimed, that a windows update messed up their PC, only 3 times it was really a windows update. All the other hundreds of times it was user error or something else. Also statistically an up to date PC runs better than an outdated machine.

I am running the same system now for over 8 years, started with windows 7, Cubase 5 (everyhing on a HDD), updated to all the Windows versions and Cubase versions in between in the last years without reinstalling anything. Then Cloned the HDD to a SSD and put the SSD in a new PC. Running now C12 and Win11 on a completely new hardware. Never had an issue.

Yes, mostly because of driver issues. About the number 1 cause of spikes in any DAW by far is statistically the GPU, wifi/network, USB, etc. driver and/or power saving settings in Windows, which are all very well documented. Thensome weird settings in the BIOS, which can cause certain issues (Hyperthreading, Power saving settings, etc.), which are very hardware dependent it seems. After that, there can be issues with your (outdated) audio driver, or interface firmware.
It is also possible to have issues with certain USB/Thunderbolt ports, which go away if you just use another port. Then there is the user error, by having wrong settings in your DAW/audio interface.
The list is very long and as already said, the very few times a windows update messes with your audio performance is not even worth mentioning, because it practically never happens.

1 Like

Programs are not perfect my friend. Not everything is a user related fault and things can get corrupted by program errors.

If it works for you, fantastic. This isn’t my experience and I find it very surprising that you never had a single issue with Cubase 12…Happy for you , but I am sticking to my mode of operation.

I appreciate your time to explain. However, I still maintain that Cubase is full of bugs.

It simply cannot be the case that Cubase works fantastically one day, and then the next (Literally) day it goes to hell without any changes to the system/harware/software/updates etc, , none what so ever and no reason to be full of spikes etc.

I would love for things to work the way you explained it, but it simply is not about logical conclusions all the time.

I agree to what you wrote, but, Cubase is far from being perfect and goes to hell for unexplained reasons. I still maintain that the program has serious issues and occasionally gets corrupted due to its many bugs.

I never said I never had a problem with C12. I just said, that even if people think they are related to Windows updates, the chance is immensly high, that they are not.

Thats basically what I said as well.

I also never said Cubase isn’t full of bugs.
At the moment there are 40 bugs/issues I have reported to Steinberg myself, which are confirmed and hopefully they will get to it ASAP. On top of that I have about the same number of feature requests to improve consistency and workflow.

Read again what I wrote: I was talking about Windows primarily and about how reinstalling Cubase wont most likely solve anything.

Buddy, thank you for your input, as I said, reinstalling windows to a formatted drive and doing a fresh installation of everything I use really works for me. I of course have everything backed up for a quick recovery etc.

In any case, just my two cents.

Peace.

The Windows registry is a complex beast. All programs when installed add/change/mess with the registry. I have been suffering Windows since WFWG 3.1 (then it wass simple *.ini files that could be edited). MS have fscked around with the codebase so much whilst trying to maintain backwards compatibility without informing 3rd parties of the details, such that every install can break something. Fsck even MS updating thier own software breaks things.

Any update, a Windows update, a Cubase update, a plugin install or even installing a fsckin game. can break Video output or the audio chain. Windows is a crock and I believe Microsoft ARE the problem.

Is it the fault of Cubase devs, is it the fault of Microsoft (as I believe)? I gave up caring, if I have a stable system I image the drive and revert when a MS update ot 3rd party install/update breaks it.

Steinberg: Cubase for Linux, please asap

1 Like

I wasn’t aware. Don’t know a huge deal, I can only comment to my experience, and my experience is that the more I use both Windows and Cubase, things go south. More with Cubase than Windows…

Don’t know what the solution is. At the moment, I am personally going through the motions to have a workable computer…

I played with a pirated verion of Pro24 I got at a LAN party, then I had Cubase 1.01 on Atari ST. Music is a hobby, I suck way too much as a musician to make a living at it. I work in IT and I really should be grateful to Microsoft for allowing me to earn a living diagnosing problems with their broken software. Unfortunately I have to use Windows for Cubase and gaming, so I feel more a victim than a victor.

I have learned that if all works well, image the OS drive and restore when something fscks it all up.

1 Like

That’s interesting, good to hear the other side of the coin…Same here, I started with an Atari ST back when the dinosaurs walked the Earth :wink:

Actually, I am about to start cloning working healthy discs (with the OS and everything installed, working fine) and storing them for immediate switch to eliminate waiting time for recovery.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I get the same experience…

1 Like