Performance increase by disabling the playback engine?

I’ve been running Dorico 4 Pro in Rosetta on my MacBook Pro M1 so that I can use Note Performer 3 while composing. Now that I’m done with the score, I don’t need playback as often. Is anyone seeing discernable performance increases by using Dorico Pro 4 with native M1 and disabling the playback engine?

I’ve not done it often, but yes, I’ve noticed things are much faster native. I also did some benchmarking, and discovered that even operations like Condensing were affected by which VSTs were loaded.

You can’t disable the playback engine or audio engine , as we call it.
But what you can do is, set in Play Mode the playback template to Silence. In that case the audio engine does not get disabled but it does not load any plug-ins or huge resource and will just idle at some very low state, so that it should go under in the “ground noise” of all the other service tasks.

You can’t disable the playback engine or audio engine , as we call it.
But what you can do is, set in Play Mode the playback template to Silence.

Thx. I think this is what I’m referring to (it’s the “on” button at the top-right of the UI that disallows playback).

I’m not sure if it makes a difference here but I think Ulf was referring to setting the playback template to “silence” rather than disabling playback with the button you refer to. In any event, you could try both approaches and see if there is a noticeable difference.

I’m not sure if it makes a difference here but I think Ulf was referring to setting the playback template to “silence” rather than disabling playback with the button you refer to.

Ohh… thx so much! I’ll give both approaches a shot.