Performance mode like Ableton ?? Session View

It would be awesome to have ableton-like session view in Cubase. I’m all for it.

2 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

If Cubase could just have a fast trigger when we press play this would be amazing. Up to Cubase 12 there is a slight lag or delay between the moment you press play and when the sound begins to come through. This is frustrating sometime when matching audio from different sources.

-1 for me

IMO, the Arranger track is a perfect compromise between linear and non-linear composition for a composer. Comparing Ableton, which is an amazing product BTW, with Cubase is like comparing apples and oranges.

+1 for me. I was shocked it wasn’t in 12 until I saw what we got, and then I’m not so disappointed. Midi Remote is likely a pre-req for having a Clip Launcher though.

As far as the arranger goes. It is locked to the linear. Arranging with different parts is where a clip launcher becomes handy.

You can do it in Cubase with sampler tracks for audio, or with Groove Agent for Midi, but it takes some setting up. I spent a lot of time setting it up in a template. It isn’t usable live, but it gets the job done for arranging varying parts.

If it does come eventually I hope it is better than Live or Bitwig. Logic has the best, and Digital Performer’s cuing is interesting.

The problem is that some Cubase users are prejudiced against it being in Cubase, and if you ask them why, some of them will show that they are prejudiced against certain musical styles. It’s unfortunate, especially when those styles and non-linear composition really have nothing to do with each other. Most “producers” in those styles don’t even use the clip launcher.

wait, did I just put quotes around “producers”?

2 Likes

Can’t people who use Ableton keep using Ableton and do what they need to do there and sooner or later they will have to settle for a final form for their creation, then bring it to Cubase? Or go the other way around, if that’s your cup of tea? Two tools instead of one. Just typing out loud.

I’ve tried Ableton Lite budled with some hardware, and it’s probably great but my brain is n o t wired that way. I just got nowhere and I’ve tried a handful of times. Maybe I’ll try again.

Do I want the clips and loops in Cubase. Sorry, . It’ a huge undertaking to mount such a contraption in Cubase which is not made for it at the moment. I would rather have that outside of the code and bugs that already exist. Like in … Ableton !!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ableton + Push rewired inside Cubase + CC121 were a real deal.
This is the main reason why I haven’t not update it yet. Sadly!

I wouldn’t call it “prejudiced”. Certain styles of music lend themselves better to certain workflows and tools. Ableton Live is a great tool, and so is Cubase. But it’s like comparing a pickup truck to a sedan; both are more than adequate for bringing you from point A to point B, but they each have individual strengths and weaknesses. If I am taking my wife out to dinner I’ll probably drive the sedan because it’s more fuel efficient, compact and easier too find parking. But if I am taking a trip to Home Depot I will probably drive the truck because it has a higher load capacity and a bed. Again, different tool for a different job with neither being inadequate in what they are designed for. I hope Steinberg doesn’t pour money into trying to make Cubase like Ableton Live, just like I hope Ableton doesn’t pour money into Live to make it more like Cubase. I hope both developers continue to drive features that make sense to the majority of their user base instead of trying to make themselves into something that they are not.

1 Like

If there is one thing I would love from Ableton to make its way into Cubase is simply the way it handles audio and clips in general. I use Live a lot, arguably more than I do Cubase, but I’m one of those folks whose brain is not wired to use Session mode. I work in Ableton the same way I do in Logic Pro or Cubase in the arranger, but I get to ‘paint’ my arrangements like I used to do with ACID Pro 20+ years ago. The way it handles audio would be so awesome, but if they decided to implement something like the Session view, I’d never use it just like I’ve never bothered looking at the Live Loops in Logic Pro. I tried that route with Live when it was just a baby, and I just don’t jive with that type of workflow, but that’s me.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree. In my opinion it is practically unusable. And this trope of comparing Cubase and Live to automobiles and saying that different ones are for different uses, just doesn’t fly.

They aren’t equally good for different things. Live isn’t even the best of the DAWS that have non-linear. I would rather use Fruity Loops than Live. It’s that bad. You might suggest Bitwig as an alternative, and it is far better than Live for sure. And you will get into a better position with your apples and oranges automobile trope.

If on the other hand you want to compare Cubase to Digital Performer of even Logic, then you are comparing, I don’t know which way you want to go with the analogy?

Say Cubase is an AMG (Mercedes Benz), and Live is a Hundi. Logic is a Lexus and Digital Performer is a Land Rover. Bitwig is, what, a nice Toyota?

So where is your basis of comparison? I like the way the AMG drives, I like the way it handles. It gets good gas mileage and does all the things I want it to do except, I really would like some cup holders, is that too much to ask? All the other cars from every performance point and cost have cup holders. Why can’t I have cup holder in my AMG without buying some rubber coated wire and hanging it off of the vents like it’s some Yugo from 20 years ago?

What if this was you and another AMG owner came along and heard that you want cup holders and told you, well, if you want an inexpensive compact efficiency vehicle, then Hundi is great, it’s just made of a different use case. Maybe you should stop driving that AMG and go get yourself a Hundi. Cup holders aren’t for serious driving like what we do in our Mercedes. Sometimes you need a tinny little poor performing car when you want to take a drink with you while your driving. I certainly hope that AMG never puts something as low as cup holders in their vehicles. I hope Hundi never tries to make a serious driving vehicle, and I hope AMG engineers continue to drive features that make sense to the majority of their drivers. instead of trying to make themselves something their not.

That’s what it sounds like. That’s what it feels like.

My point is to use whatever tool gets the job done for you instead of wanting one thing to be something else.

Thank you for making that so acutely evident.

No problem, lol! Your argument inspired me to post on the McDonald’s forum because I think a Big Mac should have more features like a taco! Why not!

In all seriousness, I can tell that you are passionate about what you do. Thank you for arguing to push the envelope on new features. As long as Steinberg can continue to stay profitable so that I can continue to stay profitable with whatever development endeavors they take on, I really don’t care what features they implement. But to label a certain segment of users as “prejudice” just because they don’t agree with you is just uncalled for. At any rate, best of luck.

Cubase really needs either a better Drum Editor or a Pattern Sequencer. That would actually be a lot more impactful than a clip launcher.

1 Like

Like how? Just curious.

I really like the pattern editor in Studio One. It would be awesome to have something similar in Cubase as a replacement for the beat designer plugin.

What Martin90 said.

I’d also add Logic Pro, which has a great Step Sequencer.