persistent triplets

i want to input a string of triplets but i can’t seem to make it work. what am i doing wrong?

i invoke the triplet pop-over (;), input the ratio (3:2) and start typing (via the mouse) triplets… no joy.

after the first triplet is entered the triplet icon de-selects and no more triplets are entered.

frustrating.

-t

I’ve literally never used the mouse for note entry when the letters on the keyboard are so much faster. Why not start note entry mode, create the tuplet, and add the notes using letter names? Tuplets are indeed sticky when entered this way.

i’m not fond of entering notes via the keyboard.

call it a weakness.

if Dorico can’t input a string of triplets using a mouse…

i call that a weakness.

This is a good 3 minute investment on tuplets:

but will not show mouse entry.

this forum has alot of posts about the pros/cons of mouse entry.

I can’t say for sure, but if I were to use the mouse for note entry (which I find difficult to imagine), I think sticky tuplets could be problematic. In keyboard-based note entry, the progression is strongly linear (“after this note, the next note”). But mouse entry seems more pointillistic to me. I’m just ruminating, not helping.

for me writing music with the mouse is a lot like writing with pen a paper… there is a tactile element that i like that, for me, is missing in keyboard entry (or even entering notes via midi keyboard).

it’s a personal preference divorced from the ‘pros/cons’ of mouse entry. shouldn’t Dorico be flexible in that regard?

Sure, I get that. But if you want it to be like pen and paper, you ought not to expect the same degree of “smartness” regarding what’s sticky and what isn’t. On paper, you’d have to redraw the tuplet each time anyways…

“Sure, I get that. But if you want it to be like pen and paper, you ought not to expect the same degree of “smartness” regarding what’s sticky and what isn’t. On paper, you’d have to redraw the tuplet each time anyways…”

so why is it any more logical to expect keyboard entry of triplets to be persistent vs mouse entry? in referencing my preference for mouse input i’m in no way eschewing computer aided composition.

A possible work round:

Create an empty triplet (containing just rests). Select the tuplet bracket and press R a few times to duplicate it. You can then enter the notes with the mouse in any order you like.

FWIW I discovered a more “logical” way (at least from the way my brain works) to enter a single tuplet from the keyboard: press ;, enter the ratio in the popover, then immediately press :. The : doesn’t take effect till you reach the end of the tuplet.

The way my brain works, I know I only want to enter one tuplet when I start entering it, but by the time I reach the end of it I have often “forgotten” that I have to cancel it, and then switch my brain from “typing notes mode” into “typing general commands mode” to press ; and then switch back to “typing notes” again.