Personally, I’m not very happy with this new forum?

Personally, I’m not happy at all…

1. Where is the forum help for users ? I finally found a ‘newbie’ one in an indirect way (unable to make a link to it, actually, see 3.) which only answers to basic questions. At least, I now know how to reply with quote, which seems a rather basic feature to me and is not directly available.

2. What are the requirements (pixel dimensions, file format) for a custom avatar image ? And does this one needs to be round ? :face_with_monocle:

3. How to make a link to a precise post in a thread ? I only see a ‘Share a link’ option, obviously made for ‘social’ networks…

4. How to define ALL threads as Normal instead of seeing messages piling up in the ‘Notifications’ section of my profile ? In it, there is no ‘Normal’ setting, whether in Categories or Tags

5. What are ‘Profile headers’ and ‘User card background’ made for ? And how to eventually set them correctly ?

6. How to change the posts font ? It’s a challenge to read posts with the more or less ‘Times new Roman’ like one used, with a dark background…

7. Where has my signature gone ? I have seen countless posts asking to make our own setup visible in our signature as a requirement, and for legitimate reasons… I understand that it might not be necessary in all contexts, but mine simply vanished - it’s not even visible in my profile .

8. How comes that the posts and threads total don’t match the ones which were displayed in the former phpBB forum ?

9. What is the ‘Vote’ number displayed under some topic titles for (not all of them, strangely…), and how to eventually use it ?

10. How comes that the ‘Computer and studio setup’ subforum is buried in the lounge ? :flushed:

11. in the Preferences, what on earth Enable defer to mark topics unread and Show counts on browser icon options are actually doing ?

12. I suddenly have seen a lot of new user names, since the transition : obviously, a lot of them have been changed during the platform migration process. So, at the end, who is who ? :crazy_face:

I could add in my gripes the endless scrolling when a topic has several hundred of posts, or the tags too limited (how to combine ‘Cubase 11’ and ‘Feature requests’ ?). Actually, the only true improvement, in my view, is the ability to upload directly images to use them in a post. Sadly, it doesn’t compensate for the overall narrow, messy and unintuitive UI of the whole thing…

Click on the time in the upper right corner of the post you want to link to. The “Share a link” option is highlighted so you just copy that text. Then in your response box you paste it and simply embed the pasted text with the link by clicking on the link icon. It then appears as follows:

Personally, I’m not very happy with this new forum? - #10 by MattiasNYC

I guess your sig got nuked. Just redo it and it’ll appear when I click on your name. It’s fine.

For rhetorical (?) questions why don’t you just make a feature request to move it outside of that sub-section?

Noted, thanks… I’ll try this next time I’ll need it.

OK (more work to do, though…). Actually, I still would have liked any forum reader to have access to immediate data concerning who is posting, among them, the joined date and the number of posts done. It is debatable, of course, but I think it was one of the old phpBB forum strenghts that the new Discourse doesn’t have. Less clicks is better, especially when you have to do so, several times in the same thread… sorry, “topic”.

OK, but where ? there is no dedicated tag for this in the ‘Lounge’ subforum…

Beside this, there are still a lot of things that remain unanswered. Any Steiny crew member or moderator, here ? The main and first one being able to have an access to a FULL user help…

It is by far not be a solution for all the complaints in here, but I found the design of the forum to be much too huge with too much spacing everywhere for me to read. I like more content on the screen. As a result, I have created a (quick and dirty) stylesheet modification that can be used with the Chrome Addon “Stylebot” to modify the theme through the addon when viewing. It’s not perfect, but it works for me. Maybe it helps someone else as well. Here it is:

https://github.com/bzeiss/sf-mod

1 Like

I checked this out, and after a bit of putzing around I came up with this–

For people who like to use browser extensions like Stylebot, all that is needed is to change the padding value of the css td (table) tag. The result is less space between entries in the topics lists throughout the forum. (very neatly coded css in Discourse btw)

Copy the css below into the code tab of Stylebot.

td {
  padding-top: 2px;
  padding-bottom: 2px;
}