PG - Comment on the new Loudness Processing in WL8?

Does it simply raise (or lower) the level of a given file or does it perform other changes to the file to meet a specific EBU R128 standards for the LUFS level that is input?

If it is just a “level changer” how is this any different that the standard gain/normalize tools that we have used in Wavelab over the years?

Cheers,

VP

If it is just a “level changer” how is this any different that the standard gain/normalize tools that we have used in Wavelab over the years?

This is a “level changer”, as you say, but with a big difference from the past, because now the loudness analysis is performed smartly (EBU standard) to better match the human ear’s sensitivity, and also takes into account true peaks, to better control clipping. Moreover, different loudness references can be used
2013-04-13_07-47-24.png
, which goes beyond the standard.

In short, this means you can better achieve loudness requirements, whether these are standard EBU values that you need to be compatible with, or personal standards, that may vary with the music style.

Do now expect WaveLab to introduce automatic compression, though this could happen slighly in the Loudness Normalizer, as a limiter can optionally enter into action if you try to rise too much the loudness.

If only a selection is processed (as in Uwe’s demo), how is the transition handled? Surely there can’t be a sudden jump, so is the level change/normalization/limiting/compression “morphed” from unprocessed (i.e. the unselected area) to processed (the selected area)?

Usually, you want to change the loudness of a whole file (else a gain adjustment is often enough), this is why there is no option from that in the Loudness Normalizer.
But if needed, there is an easy solution for achieve a transition: use the WaveLab Effect Morpher function, eg. using this curve:
2013-04-13_13-08-04.png
This being said, I agree it would more effective to have a solution in the original normalizer dialog.

I should add to my previous comment, that AFAIR, in Uwe’s demo, he is selecting a region from the loudness display, then process it with a compressor plugin, using a new button called “process in place”. In that case, there is always a xfade performed at the edges, for a smooth transition.

Yes, that’s exactly the bit I was referring to; excellent, thank you!