Piano questions

I am greatly enjoying the new update!!!

I have some questions about piano writing, some of which probably go back to before the update:

When I do cross staff beaming in piano music, I am encountering some issues:

1. I know about the “hide rests” (a GREAT new improvement), but sometimes I want some of the rests to show, e.g., when both hands rest at a particular beat. I seem to be able to hide them selectively. But, say when I write in the top stave and move notes down, and all rests are hidden, can I get them to show up again? I might want to see them all again so I can select the ones I want to hide and the ones I want to show.

2. When I have a long cross-staff passage that starts on the high staff (because it is mostly high) and finishes on low staff, I am unable to put a slur on the whole thing. The workaround is to put it all on one staff if it is all going to be slurred.

3. Sometimes, when cross staff beaming involves, e.g., 16th tuplets, and I want just the number (not a bracket), it would be nice to be able to nudge the number horizontally a bit, to get it away from a stem. Is this possible?

4. Are all of the pedal features that show up in properties working? I am not able to get the continuation text to show up. If, for example, I want Ped____(l.v.) as a single entry, I can’t get that to work. Workaround now is to put (l.v.) as a new pedal mark on a different note and slide it into place. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much!

David Froom

1. if you select the first note on the top staff and ctrl-click the last note on the bottom staff it should work…
  2. use the Start Offset X value in the properties panel (Engrave mode)

Thanks! Glad to know about the start offset value working for this.

Regarding 2), I WAS able to ctrl-click to select the pitches I wanted slurred. I was doing a mostly high measure-long passage that concluded with a low note on the downbeat of the following measure. It made sense to be in the top staff for the measure-long stuff, but have the last note in the bottom staff. But the slur stopped without connecting over the bar. I tried ctrl-clicking on the pitches, but that didn’t work. I tried dragging the slur further along, but that didn’t work either. I tried entering the last beat of the penultimate measure in the lower staff, but that gave me two slurs, each forced to last only as long as the music in each staff. I put the whole thing in the top staff, but that messed up the rests for the last note (which was one low note at the beginning of the measure). I ended up putting that whole thing in the lower staff and got what I wanted.

I am hoping that slurring across piano staves involving cross-staff beaming that start on one staff and end on another might be recognized as a bug and fixed in an update. For now, I can work around this.

Thanks,
David Froom

I don’t have any trouble entering such slurs myself… maybe a picture of the scenario can throw some light…?

Ah – I see that if I select the first and last notes to be under the slur, with cmd-click, the slur will work. If I try to drag it, it stops where the staves change, and won’t extend. Nor will it extend with opt-shift ->.

Thanks,
David

You can make rests appear on staves onto which notes have been crossed by setting the Bar rests in additional voices option at the top of the Rests page of Notation Options to Show bar rests, but this will also show bar rests in all intervening bars between notes in a given voice, e.g. if you have notes in a down-stem voice in bar 1 and then no further notes in that voice until bar 5, with this option set to Show bar rests you will get bar rests for that voice in bars 2, 3, and 4. You might find it easier to explicitly create a bar rest using the button in the Bars and Barlines panel in Write mode.

As you have found, you need to select the first note of the slur and the last note with Ctrl+click, then hit S.

Yes, you can set the Start offset property to move the number left and right; you can’t do it via the keyboard.

I don’t think “(l.v.)” is a “continuation” in the sense that we mean it: that’s presumably what you want to appear at the end of the line in place of the vertical hook, whereas a continuation is the symbol or text that appears at the start of the new system. The Restorative text property only applies to the una corda pedal line, not the sustain pedal line (so ideally the property shouldn’t appear in that case, which I will try to take care of).

Daneil wrote:
You can make rests appear on staves onto which notes have been crossed by setting the Bar rests in additional voices option at the top of the Rests page of Notation Options to Show bar rests, but this will also show bar rests in all intervening bars between notes in a given voice, e.g. if you have notes in a down-stem voice in bar 1 and then no further notes in that voice until bar 5, with this option set to Show bar rests you will get bar rests for that voice in bars 2, 3, and 4. You might find it easier to explicitly create a bar rest using the button in the Bars and Barlines panel in Write mode.

Actually, that forces a whole rest. If, for example, I have the cross staff figure starting on the second beat of the measure, I want a quarter rest in both hands to begin the measure. I figured out I could do this by entering a rest from the left panel in the measure that doesn’t officially have music. Then I can hide the rests I don’t want by making them white and transparent. So this works for me.

Thanks,
David

Just to chime in a year later - I, too, have only found this workaround (adding small rest values in the other staff and then removing the ones I don’t want), but it would be nice to have this as a notation option, where rests within cross-beamed groups appear on both staves. Elaine Gould allows for both options (i.e. the Dorico default and what I’m suggesting) but in my experience most people vastly prefer the latter…and I think this is a common-enough notational need for it to be some kind of default or option.