piano reduction of large work

thinking through a way of making a piano reduction of an orchestra. read the thread on piano reduction and some alternatives were suggested but not clear.

I put a piano in the orchestra (in this case with a chorus), keep the piano hidden for the final full score of theorchestra and chorus, then make the piano visible, cut and paste (among other things) into a piano reduction in the piano part, make a layout with just piano and chorus and that layout is the piano reduction for rehearsals with the chorus.

I would like to make the piano reduction as I edit the orchestra a movement at a time in the same full score, unchecking the instrument when it is orchestra and checking the piano when working on the piano reduction of the orchestra, but when I uncheck the piano part containing the reduction to work on the next orchestral flow, it wants to erase the material in it that is now the reduction.

I can finish the editing of the orchestra, same it to a separate file, bring up the file, check the piano and make the piano reduction with chorus in this file. when I want just the orchestra I have to bring back the original saved file. I want to just check and uncheck the piano part and keep its content and work on just the one file.

am I thinking about this right? Is there something that I am missing?

Seems like you should make 2 custom layouts: one that has the piano and chorus and one that has the orchestra and chorus, and no piano. Do your writing work in the full score, that has all the instruments. That layout will never be seen by anyone - instead you’ll prepare the other two layouts for the orchestra and the piano reduction. That way there’s no need to keep checking and unchecking players, and there’s no risk of losing music.

I use the system that Vilnai suggests. The “Full Score” is never printed: I call the second Full Score (with full score master pages) the Conductor Score to differentiate them.

makes a lot of sense. full score has all of the players with all of the music all the time (given to no one); then conductor’s score layout removes the and the chorus/piano layout only has the chorus and piano. never have to change files and have to working layouts. absolutely right.

the thing about dorico, once one understands part of its logic it is not forgotten because it is so logical.

thank you both for your quick help. I am going to edit each movement first then complete the piano reduction for that edited movement as I go and it is so fresh in my ear. thank you again.

makes a lot of sense. full score has all of the players with all of the music all the time (given to no one); then conductor’s score layout removes this piano part and the chorus/piano layout only has the chorus and piano. never have to change files and have two working layouts. absolutely right.

the thing about dorico, once one understands part of its logic it is not forgotten because it is so logical.

thank you both for your quick help. I am going to edit each movement first then complete the piano reduction for that edited movement as I go and it is so fresh in my ear. thank you again.

it’s late. sorry about the mispelled words

Along the lines of creating additional layouts, I have found that an efficient way for me to work is to create a layout named “working score” that I simply click whatever players I want to see and hear at the moment. This layout in galley view is quite helpful. Or If you find a need to work on certain groupings that don’t change (woodwinds, brass, strings, etc.), it’s easy and quick to set these up and switch to these separate layouts as you work.