Piano Voices and Parts

(I saw a related thread recently but was unable to find it.)

When I put Dorico in chord mode and write the piano notes I want, it looks like this:
Piano Chords
I want it to look more the first half of this Internet picture, and not like the second half. (I understand there is a way to hide rests later.) In other words, my D on beat 1 should be a dotted half, and my F on beat 2 should be a half.

Question: What would be the most efficient way to fix this? If I need to delete some notes and re-enter them as different voices, what would be the smartest method? (It’s not just one measure.)

Thanks.

Hi @konradh , for your first example, select the d in LH, press shift+V (creates a new voice and assigns the selected notes to it), press the f in LH, press shift+V
Result:
CleanShot 2024-05-19 at 22.08.29@2x

For larger passages you can of course benefit of the Filter function (bottom note or single note for example…), and combine the above described method of creating of new voices, together with the nice functionalities in menu Write/Edit Duration, as needed.

1 Like

You’re very helpful, thanks! I’ll give it a try.

Oddly, although I am a pianist and played on hundreds of sessions, this is the first orchestral piece I’ve written with a piano part.

1 Like

One odd quirk I’ve noticed: Dorico doesn’t like to let me select a single note in a chord unless I blow the screen up to 300-400%. It always wants to select the whole chord. It’s not a huge problem, but strange.

Are you a teacher or professor? You are always ready with excellent answers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@konradh Glad it was helpful: for subsequent passages, once you have created the extra needed voices with the above mentioned shortcuts, remember to only use V (and not shift+V), because the voice exists already and you need only to assign them to other existing voices with V.

And, when you work with different voices, I suggest to activate the voice colors in menu View/Note and Rest colors/Voice Colors to follow what is happening with the different voices.

@konradh There is a neat shortcut for that, to select only single elements (when they appear to be very near, or one above the other) without needing to zoom in too much: shift+alt+click in an area and every time you click Dorico will select something different in that particular zone, in a circular way, so you click (with the shortcut pressed) several times until you have your needed selection :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, you are very kind. I am indeed a music teacher. And I love Dorico and to help when I can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find it quickest just to accept that Dorico will select the whole chord, then use down arrow to navigate to the correct note.

Once you know the behaviour it becomes automatic!

Excellent tip!