Pianoteq 6 vst3 plugin

Well, I must say this is very impressive ! I just downloaded again the software, it appears to be 6.0.0/20170908 version, and it seems to be working flawlessly. I tried to change to pianoteq 6 in five different scores, change it again and again, quit Dorico, relaunch… Not a single problem by now.

We need more companies that provide this sort of support - if only to keep the Dorico team from getting complacent about being the best :wink:

I suppose the really interesting question might be “Now Pianoteq is VST3, does that mean it can support polyphonic quarter-tone tuning in Dorico?” …

(I haven’t upgraded from Pianoteq 5 yet).

Steinberg responded well but Modartt did the fix.

Well, of course Modartt did the fix since the bug was in their software. I don’t understand what point you are trying to make.

Oh, I misread and thought you just complimented the Dorico team. Either way, they both handled this nicely.

Indeed, that was great! I’m most likely buying Pianoteq 6 soon!

Me neither. Seems to be working perfectly. I’m also getting a clearer sound from Pianoteq 6 in Dorico than I was with Pianoteq 5. Not sure why that is but it’s good news.

Thanks to all who sorted this out so quickly.

I just listened to some of the Pianoteq demo files, and the “clearer sound” is probably from them, nothing to do with Dorico specifically. The Steinway D and B certainly have more “presence” than the previous verisons IMO - that has been improving step by step since at least Pianoteq version 3. The Grotrian hasn’t changed as much - but it was so realistic in version 5 (I used to play a real one every week for about 15 years!) even including some of the real thing’s “endearing little faults and quirks” that there probably wasn’t much to change anyway in terms of realism.

You’re right, Rob. I’ve been playing 6 and 5 side by side and there’s definitely more presence there. A good update.

I just upgraded from Pianoteq 5 to 6 but for some reason only got version 6.0.0/20170907 rather than the latest, 6.0.0/20170908. I have sent a message to Pianoteq support and will presumably get the latest update by email but caution other Dorico users who upgrade or purchase Pianoteq 6 and may not realize the the “corrected” version isn’t what they have downloaded.

Hi Mike!
I just went to the user area and downloaded again and it was updated to the latest version, try that.

Hi, Ulrik and thanks for your response. I tried going back to the user area and downloading again but still get the same version which is one number (one day, apparently) short of the version identified earlier in this thread. I’m not sure why but hopefully Pianoteq/Mordartt will get back to me on Monday.

Well, Mike, that’s odd. I downloaded again the app, when I read there had been an update. Nothing was explicit about the new version, but once it was installed, I could check it was the new one. Did you reinstall the app ?

Yes, I went back to the user area and downloaded the app a second time including answering the questions about where on the hard drive I wanted it installed and confirming my acceptance of the company’s conditions, etc. However, when I go to “About Pianoteq Stage” located below the plugin’s name in the screen’s top left, the version is still listed as 6.0.0/20170907. I have used the plugin with Sibelius and it works fine but I am nervous to try it in Dorico if there is a feedback loop that could damage speakers.

I think the problems occurred in the standard and pro editions…

Thanks, Marc. I have contacted Mordartt/Pianoteq to see if the Stage version is free from the problems outlined in this thread. If so, my experiences will make a lot more sense.

Thanks again, Marc. I have heard back from Mordartt/Pianoteq and it is indeed the case that the bug described earlier in this thread affected only the early versions of Pianoteq Standard 6 and Pro 6, which have now been updated and work fine. The 6.0.0/20170907 version of Pianoteq Stage is, in fact, the latest one and was never subject to that bug.

I went to check out this piano because of this post and now am using the stage version, I am impressed by the quality of it!

Hi, Andre. I agree wholeheartedly and although I have used only the least expensive “Stage” version for years (partly because I wouldn’t take the time to modify the sound of individual notes, although I realize the costlier versions have other advantages, too), I find the sound AND the playability to be top notch. It is important, too, that the plug-in has a small footprint and will run comfortably even on lower-powered computers.

I would love to find a product that makes a plug-in that similarly models orchestral instruments. NotePerformer is the only serious contender I have found and I love it, too, but it is limited to notation software (only Sibelius at present but with plans for Finale and Dorico) and doesn’t match the stellar sound quality of Pianoteq in spite of the believable phrasing and humanity of its playback. However, for the comparatively modest cost and for getting a very musical and realistic rendering of what your Sibelius score will sound like in the “real world”, it really is wonderful.

Just noticed on KVR that there’s a new v6.0.2 update release been made, specifically addressing the VST3 edition when used with Dorico - (simultaneous ‘All Notes Off’ and ‘Note On’ events).

Maybe its old news to some of you…?