*PICS now! Please confirm these simple midi & audio bugs!

I know, and I didn’t mean to be rude, but I’m running out of breath here. I’ve been a musician using Cubase for 14 years or so now so it’s rather frustrating when people keep suggesting the same things. You yourself just noted it would increase the bar size “If I played a note too early”. Matter of fact when doing these tests I didn’t even start playing right away, and when I did I would just tap a few notes in. So there are no notes at all close the the start of the bar’s border nor the end. Just a few clean notes right in the middle area. And even if I had played a note too early it shouldn’t stretch a new take, for example, back 20 bars to the last bar on the track.

Rev.

Was just pointing out a case where it would exhibit the behavior, not refering to your case in particular.

Besides, this is the first time I read these words from you, maybe I missed something;

Demeaning others for just trying to help is going to get you a rep so that people won’t do so in the future. Instead of that tact, appreciate the spitballing and ignore the irrelevant.

Being a long time user, as you state, you should know that Jan’s involvement in this thread and his continued efforts to repro your issue and get it on the radar was unheard of not long ago. Exasperation is no excuse, IMHO.

I’ll bow out now, hope you get it sorted.

I’d hardly call it demeaning as what I said was not false. Part of the problem is people are often too quick to pull out quotes from the manual and explain preferences features rather than bother trying to understand what the issue at hand is. It’s easier simply to write things off as user error or as intentionally designed behavior. When I’ve already stated clearly that I even went so far as to copy the preferences from Cubase 5 to Cubase 6 and verify they are all exactly the same why suggest it being a result of Merge or Snap to bars?

Rev.

[deleted by me due to being inappropriate - sorry!]

See, I’m not the problem here, this type ^^^ of attitude is. If this upgrade does this intentionally and I am to “adapt” to this behavior, please at least explain what use anyone would have for a part being stretched all the way back to reach the previous bar on a track - especially since it’s all empty data. Please do explain.

Rev.

No, just everyone and everything else, right? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What’s the big deal with it acting the way it is? Don’t see others getting their Y-fronts in a bunch over it. Now we’re demanding explanations? There’s other behavior that would give the results you want, but you’ll have to find it on your own. Shouldn’t be too difficult for a long-time power user such as yourself. :wink:

erm… is it now a bug or not? sorry, I´m currently using 5.53 to finish older projects.

Can’t tell, OP keeps changing the repro from post to post, not to mention the fact he never did post a prescribed repro as Jan asked. Because of his attitude, others probably wouldn’t even try even if he did go about it the right way. :sunglasses:

I simply asked if he can please explain what the use of this “feature” would be if it were intentional. No demanding there.

Ya know, the few of you here arguing with me are making me out to be the bad guy. No doubt my post to JHP was a fair bit rude. I find it funny though that you are taking up the same attitude you are shaming. And you are keeping this arguing bit going. I’d like to move pass this. Continue to discuss if you’d like, but I won’t argue further with you. I have no beef with you whatsoever. I’m simply trying to get additional confirmation of this behavior and avoid redundant suggestions.

Rev.

I believe the midi thing a bug and the audio thing just an intended change. As I’ve mentioned the midi issue does not happen with any other version of Cubase other than 6. I have tested with the exact same project and exact same preference settings and exact same transport settings.

Rev.

You seem to ignore all of the serious q’s put to you by myself, Jan and others. You change your repro throughout the thread. You’re the one hurting your cause. Jan asked you to refer to a thread for the proper way to report an issue. You still refuse to do that. I asked where I missed the part where you stated, before my quote, that you didn’t start entering notes at the beginning of the take. Instead, you continue the whining tact, thus reaping what you sow. It bothers me this thread has de-evolved into what it has instead of helping others, but as stated, you bring it on yourself.

Yes, and I already said in an earlier post (copying and pasting from that post) “I’m speaking with a support tech today at 4pm and will post back after if there’s any news.” So, today I am speaking with a support rep. That is why I have not yet submitted a bug report.

By the way, how have I changed my repro?? And what do you mean by repro? I’ve explained the issue so many times all the same way. I even posted pics to show what I am talking about. How am I changing the issue?

I made one post to JHP that can definitely be considered rude. I have not insulted anyone else here. You and Crotchety got all uppity about my post, and I guess rightfully so, but do you think it wisest to respond in the same way you are shaming me for? I’ve not heard a word back from JHP, I’m pretty sure he didn’t need your defense. Though you certainly are entitled to it but why be as insulting back? You and I have kept this going in a downward spiral. Would you care to join me in stopping it?

Better yet, I know you’d rather not help me now, but if you are at least curious could you test the midi recording issue? If not, and you’d prefer I go shove it where the sun don’t shine that’s perfectly fine with me. But let’s end this silly back and forth shall we?

Rev.

OK, I had a 20 minute call with Brad from support. He confirmed the audio bug and actually found additional odd behavior that he called a display bug. I am unfortunately not in front of Cubase to follow along what he was seeing as I am at work.

He was unable to reproduce the midi bug but he told me he was working on a Mac and the Windows machines aren’t available again until tomorrow and he will test again. I also sent him the screen shots. He is reporting the audio issue to Steinberg Germany and will get back to me after testing the midi issue on a Windows 7 64bit / Cubase 6 32bit platform.

Rev.

Not sure if anyone cares at this point but I figured I’d share one more finding as today I did a full uninstall and reinstall of Cubase 6. Version 6.0.0 does not have the midi bug. I loaded their Acoustic + vocal template, added a midi track and tested. Once I installed 6.0.1 and did the exact same thing the midi bug became present and is also present in 6.0.2. Being the rep tested on a Mac and didn’t have this issue with 6.0.2 it seems to only be an issue with the Windows version and perhaps even only the 32 bit Windows version, as that is the version I am using.

Rev.

I’m on 6.02 Mac and I can confirm both these issues.

I’m not that bothered about the audio issue, but the midi parts length one is becoming a little irritating.

It’s never worked like this till V6 and I’d certainly like it changed back - there’s certainly no possible reason I can see why this would be of any use to anyone the way it currently works.

Could you or Rev2010 post the repros in this thread then. That would be great!

Nobody likes bugs and it would be good to properly communicate them to make sure we are all talking about the same occurence. Apparently nobody else can reproduce or even comprehend the problem that Rev2010 is writing about in this thread so proper communication would be a good start.

And this is how we communicate bugs in the Steinberg Forums.
How do I report a problem with Cubase [bugbase]

Just click on this link and have a look at what it says in the first post. A repro is very important for proper communication and to make sure that everybody is talking about the same technical problem. In the link it explains how to write a repro.

With every software there is a similar or same way we users must communicate the bug and this is that the steps how to reproduce the error must be clearly outlined. If you enter “communicating a bug” in google or youtube you will also find information about this. Repros are not just a Steinberg thing, it’s a general Software thing. :wink:

Vinylizor, Rev2010 or anybody that knows what is going on here, this community awaits your instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

Let me add that if Brad is on it we should be on the safe side and this intangible beast should be captured if it realy exists. :wink:

Still it would realy be appropriate now to drop a repro in the next post.

Rock On!
Gr,
JHP

@Vinylizor - thanks for confirming this! While minor issues they sure can get annoying.

@JHP - I outlined how to reproduce this in my first post, but I’ll give a full run down here:

1. Start a fresh project with a midi track and set the midi cycle mode to Mix/Merge
  2. Turn on Cycle record
  3. No instrument is needed to test this, but if you want load any VSTi synth
  4. Enable record on the midi track
  5. Set locator1 to position 2 and locator2 to position 4
  6. Set the start of record at locator1 and hit the record button and play a few midi notes. When it loops hit stop
  7. You should now have one midi part between the locators
  8. Set locator1 to position 6 and locator2 to position 8
  9. Set the start of record at locator1 and hit the record button and play a few midi notes. When it loops hit stop
  10. You should now have one midi part between the locators
  11. Set locator1 to position 10 and locator2 to position 12
  12. Set the start of record at locator1 and hit the record button and play a few midi notes. When it loops hit stop
  13. You now have a part that is no longer just between the locators, but you now have a part that has grown, on it’s own, to meet with the last part. In other words, you now have a midi part that is from position 8 to 12 instead of simply having a part between the locators - only two bars large.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Rev.

Confirmed (28341) ← This is now in the Bugbase

Just switch your “Record Mode” to “New Parts”Mix. This will prevent the third part from being extended after recording.

Gr,
JHP

Thanks so much JHP! That was very helpful of you. In the interim I am simply double clicking first to create a midi part, then recording. Doing it this way doesn’t create the problem. Using “New Parts” doesn’t work as well for me since I often find it a pain to move, copy, and paste several stacked parts. Thanks again.

Rev.

Hope this is a lesson to others on how to report an issue and the swift action doing so brings. :wink:

Hats off to Jan for sticking with it. :sunglasses: