Pinning open/close status for inspector section

Hi,

This is a known and already reported issue. Thank you.

any “update” to this getting fixed? It’s been YEARS already.

Hi,

Sorry, it has not been fixed.

I think I stumbled on the solution, at least it works here. I’m using Cubase AI 10.

Imagine an invisible column directly under the pin. Click there for the item you want to pin.

Clicking the pin itself does nothing, just click in the column area and pin should appear.

Pinning doesn’t auto-expand the item, you have to do that, but it keeps it from closing when you expand another item. However, I can only get it to work with audio tracks.

Hi,

You are right. This is known and already reported issue. Thank you.

1 Like

It has been like this for a while now. these are the things we talk about that never get fixed no matter how long and how many times it gets discussed.

Steinberg has a bad history of halfassing “Features” just to get them listed in a release then ignoring the issues.
It really is tiresome. they did the same w/ the sampler track as users thought it was a joke w/ the lack of features.
It took 2 whole release to get some of the stuff that was asked for.

This pin thing is an absolute Inspector killer. It makes the Inspector cumbersome and constantly having to click and click then multiple clicks is becoming very VERY tiresome in Cubase.

Sorry to vent a little but it’s so frustrating when it takes years to fix something released as a feature.

2 Likes

imho this is a major bug that should have been fixed a long time ago.
Is there a technical reason that this does not get fixed or just not priority?

1 Like

Obviously, and despite being a workflow killer, it’s not a priority… :roll_eyes:

Hi all,

Unfortunately it’s a design flaw that cannot be solved easily. The issue comes with the nested section tabs in the Instrument Track section tabs. We are aware that the usability of the Track Inspector is not meeting the requirements any more and we think that it would need a general new concept instead of fixing issues in the existing concept. Basically we are discussing this: It’s great to have so many functions and track parameters in the left zone, but what are the most frequently used functions and could there be a way to make them accessible faster, more conveniently and intuitively?

What are your thoughts on this?

3 Likes

Hi, Matthias, and thanks for chiming in… Two main suggestions (maybe I’ll add some more later on) :

1. If the nested structure of the Instrument tracks inspector is such a major fence, then it should just be dropped, at least, as a first and quick solution, before finding another way to manage the whole thing : sure, it will make more section tabs at display by default, but if the needed ones can be reliably pinned, it’s not a problem, IMO.

2. As the space management is the essential issue, here, let’s optimize it : we shouldn’t see this when opening the insert and send tabs :

So, I don’t know if it can be implemented quickly, but I suggest (and if I remember well, it has already been suggested before me) a n+1 display of each of these two sections :

• if no effect/routing used, a display of just one slot,
  • if one used, a display of two slots… and so on.

This alone would make the inspector of all track types much more easily manageable than presently.

Hope this will add something useful to the debate… :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Hi Matthias,

Thank you so much for responding.

If I speak for myself, (and I am speaking as a single window Laptop and Dektop user) I would love to be able to see the Fader, Inserts and Sends together without much opening and closing tabs constantly.

I also would like to have the auto populate of insert and send slots option in the inspector like the main mixer, instead of 10 empty slots for each, which consumes valuable space of the inspector.

Another thing is, when in Lower Zone editors, they takeover the inspector so for example when in key editor there is no access to the fader etc. You need to click the arrangement constantly to see and operate them, again which slows the workflow. (For now I use your minimized mixer strip view on the left workflow)
Once again these might not be a problem fro 2-3 monitor users who have the main mixer open all the time.

Finally I have been using Cubase since V1 on Atari but I never used this top section :grinning:
Volume and Pan can go to Track headers but I don’t know if the rest is necessary.
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 15.22.34

Once again thank you so much for chiming in and asking for our ideas.

Best Regards,
Oz

4 Likes

@ozinga @cubic13 100% agreement on all of your points! Thanks!

3 Likes

Yes, the inspector is a bit confusing, especially the instrument-inspector…
The midi editor-inspector isn’t much better.
Kind regards
Mr. Tim

1 Like

While the “minimalist” look isn’t bad, the hit on functionality is absolutely gut wrenching as it introduces constant clicks and click s and clicking just to see or use a simple function.
Minimal is ok as long as it’s intuitive and it seems Steinaha is having a hard time achieving both. iow, Coming soon, all new Clickbase 12 .

The part I appreciate is recognizing what the users are telling you, the part I don’t is ignoring it. This, just like many other issues has been reported ad nauseum so when we hear “coming soon” or “we know about it” don’t be insulted when we take it w/a grain of salt… TY for the recognition tho!! Hope this gets fixed.

Moreover… Since nowadays people are using multiple screens of quite big resolutions, AND you guys are trying to implement vector graphics for better HiDPI visuals, why don’t you explore the possibility of a modular Inspector/Left Zone? Resizeable (in width), with the ability to wrap to more than one columns (for example have inserts pinned on one column, sends on another). I think it would benefit all users regardless.

Of course I don’t have the faintest idea what you’re prototyping and building (great stuff I hope!), but it seems to me that big screens are here to stay, so “rigid” zones may not be always desirable.

1 Like

This (modular) has been asked for since like Cubase 5…seriously, search it…lol
We’ve gotten here because they refused to address GUI issues early on and instead slapped a quick fix and kick the can down the road.
Now, it’s a clusterf of graphical anomalies and things that had to be done differently because “It isn’t currently possible”. This is a prime example of that.

I can’t say I’ve been following development of versions earlier than 8 too closely, but I’ve reached a similar conclusion.

The problem nowadays, at least the way I see it, is that operating systems are being pushed (and developed) much more frequently, and the same goes for hardware.

I imagine it must be really stressful to design something knowing that by the time it is ready for launch some other development (of Windows e.g.) will have thrown a wrench into the works.

So, yeah, not sure I’m going anywhere with this post. Steinberg’s probably working full steam and that’s that? A major rewrite is in the works and we don’t know anything about it? Nothing of the above? :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Hi Matthias and all,
I as well have been thinking about changes regarding Track Inspector for couple of years now. It’s hard to believe that there have been almost no improvement for so many years. The change is long overdue, but better later than never.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Put Fader, Pan, Inserts and Sends into 1 tab.
- it is not necessary to display all unused slots for Inserts and Sends.

2. Auxiliary Fader, Pan, Insert, Sends of FX or Group track in the Track Inspector.
- Regarding the workflow, it would be very useful to display simultaneously Fader, Pan, Insert and Sends in Track Inspector also for one chosen FX track or Group track which is being used in Instrument Track. So the main (Fader, Pan, Insert, Sends) and one auxiliary (Fader, Pan, Insert, Sends) would be displayed at the same time.

By clicking specific Send in Instrument Track it would display Fader, Pan, Insert, Sends for selected FX Track or Group Track.
Additional assisting Fader, Pan, Insert and Sends could be displayed or stay hidden.
Maybe it would be good if it was graphically smaller than the main one.
The main and auxiliary Fader, Pan, Insert, Sends could be below or next to each other.

3. Possibility to use more than only one VSTi instruments in the Instrument Track.
- At the moment there can be only 1 VSTi instruments used as an Input in the Instrument track.
However, sometimes it is important to have the ability to use more VSTi instruments plugins in one Instrument Track. This would bring much more creative freedom. Having only one VSTi in the Instrument track is outdated and cumbersome. Personally I would prefer VSTi instruments to be inserted into Insert slots. By doing so it would be possible to have more VSTi in one Instrument Track. The instruments could be highlighted in yellow and the effects in green color.

For example, it is a very useful function in case I want to combine oscillators from 3 different synthesizers… or if I want to layer different VSTi instruments. In some instances, it is ineffective to create 3 different independent Instrument Tracks.

I am aware of the future design where there will be Macro controller functions in Cubase which will allow to control Cutoff filter of all 3 synthesizers at the same time, for example. In cases like this it would helpful to have an option for Stacked VSTi Instruments.

Example:
signal chain: Insert: Retrologue → Compressor → Padshop → Delay → etc.
or signal chain: Insert: Retrologue → Padshop → Diva → Compressor → etc

(In regards to Macro controller functions, I am hoping it will be possible to control various parameters from several tracks simultaneously using, for example, only one macro knob.)

4. Info Line (object selected info) could exist also in Track Inspector - just like Tab [Channel Info]
- This way users could have 2 choices: to display Info Line in classic way in the upper line info bar or in Track Inspector as a Tab [Channel Info]

5. Volume and Pan should be available in Track Header as well.

I still have a lot of other ideas about Cubase, which I would like to keep sharing with you in the future.

Looking forward to hearing from you about my suggestions.

Thank you,
Peter

2 Likes

I totally agree with that, there is no need to display the whole 16 or 8 slots when they are empty, it should adapt dynamically.

Also for the Pin issue on instrument tracks, we could simply get rid of the drop-down instrument tab, and instead display the little keyboard icon on each tab that is related to this section.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree, the top menu is something I never used as well.
I use panning and volume in the respective Volume Fader Tab, as there you have a visual feedback of the volume and the handles are bigger and easier to grab as well.

Also having only the used inserts+sends visible, without all the empty slots would already be a solution, to free up more space.

To be honest, I think the tab system in the left is not practical.
The tabs I need are either always open and I never close them, or they are hidden.
A modular system, where you can build your own inspector would be the best solution I think.

1 Like