Pitched noteheads with do-based minor?

Hi - bit of a beginner here, so please be gentle if I’ve missed something obvious, but is there a way to use Aiken or any pitched notehead set with a do based minor? Even if the key signature is explicitly indicated as minor, the pitched noteheads do not not seem to change, meaning that every note is still indicated with the same notehead shape or pitch-based indicator as if the key were major.

This latter approach (la-based minor), is probably somewhat more common here in the United States, but there are still a good percentage of us who prefer to use scale degrees/shapes/numbers/solfege syllables based on the minor’s tonic.

Is there a way to do this?

Ideally, I would prefer to see scale degree numbers rather than shaped noteheads.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Stephen

(Currently using Dorico Elements 3.0)

Welcome to the forum, Stephen. On the Notes page of Engraving Options, you’ll see an option ‘Root scale degree for minor keys’: set this to ‘Root of minor key’.

I don’t think Elements has Engraving Options. If you are able to post the Project, someone with Pro can make the change for you.

Thank you all. Yes, while I see some mentions in the Dorico Elements help documentation that tells you to change something in engraving options, I see no such options in the program, and other help material states that the Engrave mode (where I presume the options are) is only in Dorico Pro.

I am only an amateur/learner, so I will assume I have just wandered into a bywater that is not provided for in Elements. It’s nice to know it can be done in the Pro version. No worries, still so much to learn with Elements it will keep me busy for a good while. :slight_smile:

Thank you,

• Stephen Bell

As Craig said, a Pro user can easily make this change, and provide you with the file… you can then use it freely in Elements. Might be sufficient, depending on what other functions you need.

My apologies Stephen, somewhere between the Dorico 2 and Dorico 3 manuals, a couple of notehead-related, Pro-only topics have slipped into the Elements manual. I’ll get this fixed up right away, sorry for the confusion.