placement of dynamics and playing techniques

Does anyone know if there’s a way to tell Dorico to always put the playing techniques above the dynamics? I’m working on a vocal score, so the dynamics and playing techniques are both above the staff. Thanks!

I thought it was always the case… Which playing technique gets in the way of dynamics?

Thanks, Marc. I’ve tried with a number of playing techniques, and it puts all of the playing techniques below the dynamics (but above the staff). I would like the order (from highest to lowest) to be: first the playing technique, then the dynamic below that, then the staff below that. I can adjust it manually, of course, but am wondering if there’s an easier way–or maybe a setting for that?

You can’t influence the order in which Dorico stacks things outside the staff, I’m afraid. This is something we may allow in future, but it’s not possible at the moment.

Thanks, Daniel! Looking forward to that in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has this been updated in Dorico 4? I cannot find it anywhere in the libraries. Dynamics should be closest to the staff, above it, in a choral score.

Are you using Singers when assigning the Players of your vocal parts? IIRC Dorico treats dynamic placement different for Singers than for other instruments.