planning to get a new DAW question for Dorico users..

Hello all, as time goes by I plan to use Dorico as my main notation program and do you folks think it would be a good to move to Cubase as a working DAW as there might be integration?

any thoughts? I am also interested sonar and maybe bitwig…

I know we all have different ideas and how we learn, but just wanted folks who lots of experience to dial in, please?
thanks. JJ

I think a lot depends on what sort of music you write…

I got the impression there are no penalties mentioning Sibelius and Finale here, so I guess it’s ok to mention Reaper…The Cubase 8.5 to 9 upgrade must be the rip-off of the decade…

For the time being there 's no integration whatsoever with Cubase.Sometime in the future there will be but when? If money is no object,you could go along with Cubase.Otherwise you could try Cubase Elements or Artist and upgrade later. Or stick to what you already have (i guess you are using one)

ok, thanks folks! yeah my main daw does not support vst and a mp3 files.
this is too bad and I would think a relationship within the company could benefit us all…
thanks for your thoughts!

Well, the integration with Cubase is up in the air right now … nobody knows if, how and when that is going to happen, and in what form.

So while Cubase is a very capable program, if you are specifically hoping for some kind of integration between Dorico and Cubase, that is pretty tentative at this point.

If you ask in any music forum “what is the best DAW?”, you’ll get answers that are all over the place … and all too often the discussion tends to get out of hand as people can get pretty opinionated. :smiley:

Best thing to do really is to download demos, and see which you like best in terms of features, pricing, support, any specific strengths / weaknesses. I personally use Reaper (as well as Pro Tools for audio post production) – it’s very powerful and easy to download and install (takes seconds – with Pro Tools you can spend hours and hours downloading and installing, with errors etc.), inexpensive, and it can handle any audio / midi / video files, including relatively simple video editing; it even has a built in notation editor, although that is nowhere near the level of Dorico or Sibelius. But for many users it is useful. And the community support is fantastic, very lively user base.

There are a lot of good DAW’s out there. Most experienced folks say the best is the one you know how to use. That probably means that, if you use a DAW already, you will want to upgrade to one that works in a similar manner (vis the folks who worry that Dorico doesn’t work the way they are used to Sibelius or Finale working). If you are starting out fresh, you will want to choose a DAW in your price range with a good reputation and plan to spend the time to learn to use it.

Best wishes in your search.

thanks so much folks! this helps ALOT!! I like learning, but also like creating!! I am checking all sections: storage space, what I could use, possible use, and not! some seem to grab my way of thinking more…etc…
they are all tools towards a common goal: art.
even though I have heard not so great things about Cubase 9 I am leaning towards it as i think it’s a daw that has been around and just narrow it down and go!
jj

It’s well worth downloading the demos to see what you like.

It’s a long time since I went through the process of choosing one from the “big names” which were then Logic, Cubase, and what is now Sonar. They all did pretty much the same things and just looking at a few screen shots they seemed pretty much identical, but the user interface to one of them “just clicked” with me, one was “sort of OK” and the third one seemed to have been invented by Martians. (There’s no point telling you which was which, because you aren’t me - and in any case, I don’t use that first choice any more).