Play mode instrument order

What’s the trick to make the player order in Play mode match the player order in my full score? The players seem to be presented in random order, and adding/deleting a player somehow shuffles the order again – and randomly.

Also, when I switch from “Played Durations” to “Notated Durations” I see no change whatsoever.

There’s no trick: the players are not currently listed in the same order in which they appear in the Players panel in Setup mode, but this will be fixed in the forthcoming update.

When you’re looking at the notes in the piano roll, you should see that e.g. a note with a staccato articulation on it in Write mode shows up with the thick part of the note in piano roll (representing its played duration) half the length of the thin line (representing its notated duration), provided you’re in Played Durations mode. You might find this video helpful.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel. I’ll look for it then.

Regarding the second issue: After I posted, I discovered that the default timing was set to 100% in the Playback Options > Timing > Note Durations window. As I had only entered “raw” notes, with no articulations yet, the thicker bars matched each other precisely. I reset to the 85% default setting, and now all is well.

Thanks for the speedy response! Dorico is amazing.

Hello!! Is this issue fixed now in 2023? If it is I don’t know how to do it! Thank you!!

There have been quite a few changes since 2017 relating to both how players can be auto-sorted in Setup mode, and how music appears in Play mode and the new Key Editor.

Could you be more specific about the situation you’ve encountered right now? What is your issue?

Hello Lillie, thank you for your quick response.
I have problems with the order my players appear in the mixer. I would like it very much if they could appear in the same order as they do in the score. Is this possible?

Thank you very much!

You did not say which VST(s) you are using for your sound set(s). If you are using HALion, have you tried re-applying the appropriate Playback Template from the Play menu to se if that reorders the instruments in your mixer?

Hello!! I’m using a mixture beetween HALion, BBC Symphony Pro and Best Service’s ERA II Medieval Legends. Thank you!

The outputs in the Mixer typically appear in the order presented by the plug-ins that are playing the instruments, which often won’t have any correlation to the instrument score order. We do plan to make it possible to reorder channels in the Mixer, but this has not yet been implemented.

1 Like

Thank you very much dspreadbury!!!

I found that if you go to Setup Mode, then Sort Players, the Play mode order gets ‘fixed’. I’m using Dorico 5 Elements and the BBC SO Discover playback template.