Play mode questions

1. I can’t find out how to reorder the players in Play Mode, is that implemented yet.

2. My string sounds have different KS for 1/2- and whole step trills, is that possible to set up in the expression maps?

3. There’s something strange with Senza sord. and Con sord (strings). Con Sord. changes to the muted sound and the Playing techniques in Play mode to Muted. When writing Senza sord. after nothing happens and in the playing techniques in Play Mode it says Muted on that position. If I then remove Con sord but keeps the Senza sord, which appears afterwards, the Playing techniques in Play mode changes to Natural on the Senza sord position. Bug?

1. No, it’s not: of course it should follow the order of players as shown in Setup mode, but it doesn’t – it follows the order in which the players were created, which isn’t very useful.

2. Not at the moment, no, because the trills you can create in Dorico, although they have some rudimentary support for specifying the accidental that should be shown above them, don’t actually output any sensible data as far as setting the appropriate playing technique with the interval data that would be needed to trigger those sounds. (HSO has suitable semitone and tone trills that we will ultimately be able to trigger automatically in this way.)

3. There is at present no proper support for the kinds of mutual exclusions that are needed to make e.g. con sord. and senza sord. or pizz. and arco opposites of each other. For now you can work around this by switching back to “nat.”, but obviously this has some poor compromises because you have to include the unwanted extra playing technique in the score.

All of this is obviously work in progress and poor Paul is battling a backlog longer than his arm that includes these issues and hundreds of others.

Wouldn’t it be helpful for these case to have the possibility to hide things? I am using that all the time in Sibelius, especially for tempo changes that I don’t want to see in the socre, but for playback purposes only.

Oki, then I know, thanks Daniel!

Andre:
You can “fake-hide” text by changing the text color to white in the properties.

That’s a great idea, thanks!

I can’t help but feel that ‘hiding’ things isn’t the best way of us implementing something. It might be a short-term workaround, but once we’ve done something properly you hopefully won’t have to ‘hide’ things.
As Daniel said, Paul has a long list…

Yes, I agree, but how would I for example create tempo changes that I don’t want to see printed in the score? Sometimes I want to have subtle changes over a couple of bars for the bounce, but I don’t want to see a tempo change in every bar in the score. What about calling it a “Don’t show in Score and part” instead of “hide”? :wink:

We expect that this is something that you would do in Play Mode instead. There will be a tempo track which you can make modifications to that won’t show up in the score (or perhaps they might show as signposts in the score).

That makes sense, afterall it affects the playback, like as when working inside a DAW.

This is also consistent with our model of trying to not fake things by hiding them, but rather to find a better representation that solves the problem at hand.

André, nothing prevents you from hiding tempo chznges, I do it all the time in order to provide consistent playbacks to my fellow singers (and myself) : shift T, q=your tempo
Then inthe properties panel, uncheck metronome mark. The tempo change can appear as a flag (which can be turned off)
That’s it

Ah, this is great! Thanks so much, Marc.

In an other topic “List of known supported / unsupported playback notations?”

Well, it seems I continue to be a black cat because “pizz.”, “spicato” and other playing techniques do not effect the playback… Am I the only one ?
Ulf did help me some days ago because I had some problems with my playback library. Now it works well (I do get my piano playback) except that the viola do not play neither pizzicato nor spiccato.
I don’t know why those techniques are not incremented in the Play Mode. I had a look in the Expression Maps but the HSO Viola Solo do contain pizzicato technique (and more)…
I’m not an expert with the Expression Maps but that’s a mystery for me.

I suspect that this is simply due to a bug in handling these playing techniques, Ed. We’ve done a bunch of work in this area since Dorico 1.2 was released in December, and things should be substantially improved in the coming update.

Daniel,
I’m happy to hear that… even if the bug is not resolved for the moment.

The “senza sord” problem seems to be still not solved in dorico pro 2.1. I’m using “nat” instead.
Really hope for the next release