Play Repeats After DS Jump

Can somebody please take a look at this contrived example project and see if you can figure out why Dorico is refusing to play the repeats after the DS jump? (Playing repeats after DC/DS jump is enabled.) I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the repeat structure, but perhaps it’s an edge case where the Fine is causing Dorico to think something’s wrong. (This is a Dorico 3.5 file. Although I have Dorico 4.1, I put this short example together using 3.5 just to see if there was any difference in the behavior between 3.5 and 4.1. There isn’t.)
Thanks!
–Howard
Play Repeats on DS.dorico (391.9 KB)

Dorico won’t handle this case properly at present because of the start repeat barline after the segno. This is on our backlog as something we plan to improve in future (our reference: STEAM-9553). Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate knowing that it’s on your backlog.

I had something similar come up on an arrangement I did last week. In my case, my notation was probably ambiguous because some of the musicians played it the same way Dorico did.

In my case, I have a segno at m5. I have To Coda at m10 and a first ending starts at m12. Even though I wrote “D.S. al Coda (Repeats good on D.S.)”, some of the musicians took the coda jump as soon as they came to it – as did Dorico in its playback.

As I say, I’m not sure that Dorico is doing anything wrong here. It is probably better to lengthen the endings such that the coda jump is under the second ending. When I do that, playback is as expected, and I don’t think the musicians will go astray either. But it does add a few redundant measures. Life is a series of compromises.

That’s quite true!

My little example plays back correctly if I move the segno to the start repeat barline, so simply copying the stuff between the original segno location and the start repeat barline and inserting the copied material prior to the DS takes care of the issue. Having the segno before the start repeat barline, though, or even having a DC al Fine instead (which also won’t play the repeats after the DC jump), are both common practice. I’m happy to know that it’s on Daniel’s backlog, and I’m happy to wait for it to rise to the top of the priority list.