play tool volume

often i come across when running a project at a good listening level that when i use the play tool to listen to a specific location of raw audio on the track the volume is very loud in context. the adjustment in Preferences of the Scrub Tool volume does NOT adjust the PLay volume!
if i turn down the control room volume the playback of the project is also lowered.
any workaround, suggestions??

thanks

Hi,

The reason is the plug-ins are not applied while Play the Audition. You can set the Preview Level for example in MediaBay in the Preview section. It’s the same level as you get while Play tool.

yes, that works! playback Vol in mEdiabay determines the playback volume of the Play Tool.
would be great to be referenced in the manual like that!!!

hi martin.
thanks for your answer regarding this back then. it still is an awkward way to set the volume. it also seems that Mediabay actually remembers the previous setting visually at the little fader, but it needs to be touched once to actually make the setting happen as adjusted,
is there a faster way to do this right in the arrange window? or as a fixed setting somewhere in preferences so i do not have to go in each session again and again after loading and make the adjustment.
or can you give me the exact audio path of the signal when using the Play tool?

thanks

Hi,

When does MediaBay forget the settings? While close/reopen the MediaBay window? While close/reopen the project? While close/open another project? While quit/start Cubase?

cubase shutdown lets it “forget” the vol setting in mediabay.

hi martin.
were you able to find out about this?

thanks

Hi,

I’m sorry for the delay. I just tried this and the MediaBay Preview Level is persistent here on my side. Even after quit and reopen Cubase.

thanks martin.
the volume slider position looks the same as where it was set before closing Cubase, but actually, the vol itself is reset to a quite high default setting. as soon as i move the slider a small amount up or down the actual volume reflects the fader position. this will only be obvious if you set the vol quite low (around 25%) which is where i need to put it if i want the play tool to play at a level that is not blasting me away. this is because i work with quite conservative gain stagings (-18db) so i need to set my monitor vol relatively high. which results in the play tool vol to be way too loud.

Hi,

It works to me here even on the audible level. So the audible volume is the same after I quit and reopen Cubase.

Hmmm… very strange.
maybe its the version. i assume you are on C10, which so far is unusable to me, and i am still on 9.5.
i will investigate on C10.

Hi,

I have just tried on Cubase 9.5.50 and it works the same to me. No issue here.

Have you already tried to backup and trash your Cubase preferences folder, please? Then open Cubase, set up the Preview Level, quit Cubase, reopen and check it again?