Playback and notation of a fanned beam?

Dear users and developers,

Is there a handy way to playback of a fanned beam properly?
I think it should be a manual work but throw a question here…
Probably, someone has a sophisticated way to do it.

Any suggestion would be helpful!

Currently, I am trying to make a fanned beam with proper playback as follows, but Dorico does not create a fanned beam:

Screenshot 2020-05-24 15.33.08.png

I resolved the problem as follows:

1. resetting beaming
  2. creating a fanned beam

Can you elaborate? Thank you.

[edit]
Please follow the following answer:

What I wrote in this post is not recommended. I forgot what I did previously, and @jesele’s way is what I did previously. Thanks @jesele!

I am afraid I have to say that I cannot remember the details.
What I would like to do at the moment is one of the following two ways:

[Method 1]

1. Make any notation you like.
  2. Select the notes created in step 1.
  3. in Write mode, tick the ‘Suppress playback’ box at the bottom.
  4. Create a staff above or below the current staff.
  5. compose this moment on the new staff.

[Method 2]

1. Make any notation you like.
  2. Select the notes you created in step 1.
  3. Switch to Play mode.
  4. Press the Waveform button. I have attached a picture to help you locate the button.
  5. Change the start position and length of each note.

Thanks very much for your kindness and willingness.
I have managed creating the feathered beam fx using the bracketed Tuplets, I have found guidance for that in a Sibelius article… it took me quit some time to achieve the expression I wanted but its almost there… ( for sure a plugin would have sorted this one out in no time adding fan to working with Dorico… ) I am aware that I still have to “paint” for the performer the actual feathered beams so I know what you mean… I am not familiar with the waveform button what it does… does it attach an audio amplitude ( file ) to the score? If so, maybe it is easier of course to play and record the fanned beams and then simply attach it for the sack of playback alone… but won’t it have a graphic apparatus ( of the Amplitude ) in Dorico? I certainly need to research more about that :slight_smile: .
I still believe a dedicated plug in could have helped a great deal sorting this issue out allowing the computation power of the 21st ct cpus to experiment musically in this but not even in Dorico V they have bothered to include it… I am somewhat disappointed … oh well…

Thanks again for your input.
Cheers - Rami.

That button allows to move the actual played material without changing the written one, very practical to shorten notes or lengthen them keeping the Notation intact. Another workaround is to notate exactly rhythmically what you want on an added (and then hidden) staff, and suppressing the playback of the notated and apparent music the real human player will read. That is the actual workaround to get any ornament played as you wish.

2 Likes

hmm right now I am thinking to forget about Dorico regarding fanned beaming and maybe do the them via handwriting ( as they were ). To my view it is a terrible software for something like this. I have to fight for the position of every note - very time consuming and I have several groupings of these… devastating. Thanks very much for your input. certainly will not recommend this software to my friends. not to worry, Steinberg wont feel the impact. cheers.

I don’t think I understood clearly what it is that you want to do. If it’s only inputting fanned beams, it can be very easy actually (right-click >Beaming >Fanned beams).
It’s not that I fear for Steinberg, but I think it would be a shame to miss the best tool because I did not give you the appropriate piece of advice! (and I am a mere user…)
Note that the workaround with the additional staff is very easy to reproduce if the leitmotiv comes back (alt-clicking the selected excerpt on another rhythmic place should suffice) so it’s not that time-consuming.

Fanned beams.dorico (476.1 KB)

Jesper

And this is the simplified rhythm behind

If you don’t care about playback then of course it’s much easier

2 Likes

This is what I did three years ago!
Please forgot the two methods I wrote here: Playback and notation of a fanned beam? - #4 by prko

For now I’d like to thank from the bottom of my heart to all of you for your willingness and trying to help.
I will explain the issues later on due to lack of time right now.
Thanks so much - cheers.

2 Likes

Hello again and thanks again for the input.
( My Dorico Version is 4.3.3 ).

The best solution for me so far was in the start of the exercise, but it is not quit there. I have tried other solutions - all suggested in “Sibelius” forum and still have to sort my way around this. ( won’t a plug in would be so much easier? ).
What I can say is that this issue comprise of - 1. the audible musical scene - 2. the graphic notational scene .

1). The audible scene is rather subtle and doing it by hand as we do ( with a lack of a better tool ) - will not provide a sufficient result at least to my taste. The best result I was able to get was when I was editing the tempo graph in the piano roll section ( where I could also set the desired dynamics according to the graphic flow ) , but this of course will have a terrible effect on the rest of the simultaneous “normal” tempi music ( like a 3/4 bar against a non metered fanned beam bar where the latter will cause the 3/4 notes with a steady rhythmic value to accel or ritard according to the behavior of the fanned beam notes… ), also - doing it by hand may provide a somewhat automatic feel to this very free & expressive mean. Regarding the multiple tempi issue - I was told you can’t do it due to different clocks…I truly wonder - with all the power of today’s cpus and multiple threads. can’t you really do this? can’t they give us different simultaneous clocks like Ligeti did in his “Poeme Symphonique” with 100 metronomes composition?
2. Regarding the graphic expression - I had to work very hard to give each note a “logical” place in the stave… so I had to work a lot in the “Engrave mode” section to change the placements of the notes … . all this was very time consuming and I still do not file I was able to get that accurate musical result I wanted to get - a seamless flow expanding and contracting.
Now - this - is something that a plug in could have achieved by my believe - with great ease and accuracy and even allaborate on it in a creative manner - and so I was disappointed to learn that in Dorico V they have decided not to include an aide regarding - although this issue came about several times before.
A plugin that will be able to create the fanned beams exactly as we right them by hand - a drawing of a line will provide that musical flow - and than the software will notate the correct logical gaps between the notes properly enough. Oh well… Maybe I am asking to much.
I am happy though that they have included in Dorico the tools to successfully notate fanned beams with a good enough acknowledgement in the ref. section regarding.
I have not even yet discussed the headache I had - hiding the audible stave and keeping the graphic one - as it had a serious effect later on in the work massing things up… I had to erase pages of copying… I actually have chosen to start the project again… also recreantly in creating nested tuplets the software freezes … but thanks to all of your help I think I am more encouraged and I hope I’ll be able to deal with this issue better.
Best to you all - cheers - Rami .