Playback in Dorico SE

Hi there,

I’ve recently installed Dorico SE on my laptop (a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15IML05) and am having playback issues.

Specifically, playback only works on my laptop speakers, but not at all when I try to use headphones or stereo-speakers.

In “Device Setup”, the ASIO Driver is set to Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver and the sample rate is 48000. When my headphones or speakers are plugged in, a message appears below the Stereo Output dropbox saying “Mono output detected”. I think I am doing everything correctly: in Device Control Panel the headphone checkbox is ticked. In Play → VST & Midi → Halion Sonic → Show Instrument, the keyboard produces a signal when played.

Would someone be able to help me with this?

Thanks.

Have you searched headphones no sound #dorico in the search box at the top of the thread list?

Try this knowledge base article:

Installing the FlexASIO driver seems to have done the trick. Thank you both for your help!

Hi, Daniel,
I followed all the instructions in your helpful article and indeed, the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver window now shows headphone and speakers in stereo - when I open Windows sound settings and test, all is fine. But Dorico still only plays back through computer speakers? I don’t have Ableton Live so I can’t use the FlexASIO driver, I’m guessing? What’s odd is that when I installed Dorico 5 a few weeks ago all the demo files played back fine. I haven’t touched it since then, and now I have this problem. I’m desperately trying to switch to Dorico from Sibelius!
Thank you.

Hi @jsbergin , what else do you have in the drop down list of ASIO drivers in the Device Setup dialog? Is there also a ‘Steinberg built-in ASIO’ driver?
And by the way, FlexASIO is independent from Ableton. You can just download it from the web, install and Dorico can use it as well.

Ulf,
Many thanks for your speedy and helpful response! I will search for other drivers and glad to know that flex is able to be used. I’ll see what I can do! Thank you again.

You did not say whether you have the ‘Steinberg built-in ASIO Driver’ installed. In any case, attached is the corresponding installer for that driver. It is the successor to the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver and will get installed along with every Steinberg product in the future. So also try with that one.
steinberg_asiobdin_installer.zip (974.6 KB)

Hi, Ulf,
Thank you so much. I was able to locate the device setup window, and the Steinberg driver is there. I needed to tell Dorico to use the headphone jack instead of the computer speakers, sorry for the elementary error on my part.

On the other hand, among other things, I wanted to learn Dorico in order to take advantage of the microtonal pitch rendering. I use a 72-note equally divided octave. I have 6 custom accidentals that I have brought into Dorico. I set up the tonality system a while back, and it worked beautifully; accidentals attached to notes and played back perfectly. I haven’t used Dorico in months however, and when I upgraded to the most recent version, the piece I had set up no longer plays back any microtonal divisions, but rather just the usual 12-note octave. I’ve attached a png of the piece which shows the accidentals, as well as a screenshots of the tonality system edit window.

And I"ve attached the file itself. I do hope you can help with this - I’ve been using Sibelius for almost 20 years with these symbols. It’s very difficult to work with, but I’ve learned over time how to do it. But the main reason I want to use Dorico is for this particular feature.

Thank you very much indeed.

-James

PS I’ve attached a score video (YouTube) of the viola piece I"m trying to notate in Dorico. I did it in Sibelius. Hope that gives some idea of what I’m trying to accomplish.

Viola piece.dorico (1.67 MB)

Hi @jsbergin ,

you switch the output ports in the Device Control Panel. It is a separate/driver specific window which will get invoked if you click in the Device Setup Dialog on the Device Control Panel. In the middle of the upcoming window is a list of available output ports. You click in front of the device the little checkmark in order to select a port.

And sorry, in regards to the microtuning, I can’t help you. Some other user here maybe can do or if not, I’m calling out for @dspreadbury .

I think the problem is that you have a surfeit of custom key signature changes scattered throughout your piece, which you don’t need at all. Here’s a revised version of the project:

Viola piece.dorico (514.5 KB)

If you have other projects like this, here’s how to fix them:

1. Delete all of the existing Custom key signature signposts.
  2. Select the first note at the start of the first bar.
  3. Choose the desired custom tonality system from the Tonality System section in the Key Signatures & Accidentals panel.
  4. Type Shift+K to open the key signatures popover, type atonal, and hit Return.