Playback, notes sounding, and note input

I have the trail version of Dorico Elements. I’m new to Dorico. I’ve only used Finale before, so I’m still figuring out how Dorico works.

Today, as I was notating a piece I wrote, I ran into two issues that I have no idea how to work around. The first problem is occasionally, whenever I click on a tool other than the note input tool, I’m not able to put notes on the score. It only allows me to work with rests. Even closing the program and reloading the score doesn’t fix it. I have to delete the project entirely and start from scratch.

The other issue is I can’t hear the notes when I place them on the score. I had a problem with running YouTube shortly after I downloaded the program (audio renderer error or whatever), which I fixed by restarting the audio device, but since then, I can’t get Dorico to play the notes back. Playback doesn’t work either.

Any help with these issues is greatly appreciated!

In regards to the playback not sounding, please create a new project from Piano Template. Enter a handful of arbitrary notes and then choose from Dorico’s main menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’. That creates silently a zip file on your desktop, please attach it here. Thanks

The first issue will be that you have activated rest input in the note input toolbox on the left-hand side.

Since you are new, you may not yet know that in Dorico you almost never have to enter rests explicitly; you just hop (arrow) to the next hash mark where you want a note to begin and enter the note while Dorico takes care of the rests on its own.

Also, if you are just getting started, you may find Dan Kreider’s “Introduction” helpful. Although it deals with Dorico 2, it has a lot of useful info that carries over into Dorico 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhq2udlfq985m7b/A%20Beginner's%20Guide%20to%20Dorico.pdf?dl=0

Here is the diagnostic report file.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (318 KB)

Thanks for the data. The driver is currently set to stream audio to the port “Digital Audio (S/PDIF)”. Is that what you expect?
If not, please go to Edit > Device Setup. In that dialog click the Device Control Panel button, a new little window will appear.
In the middle of that window is a list of output ports. In front of the ports is a little checkbox by which you can select the wanted port.

If the wanted output port does not appear in the list, try toggling the option at the top of that window which says something like “Allow ASIO hosts to take exclusive…”

It worked. Thank you for your help!

Wow, that’s helpful. Thanks!