Playback playing in detached manner by default, not full note duration

I noticed that during playback using the violins from Halion SO on Dorico, two half notes will be played in a detached manner like this

------------- ------------- |

or a whole note will be cut off like this and not play to the end of the bar

-------------------------------- | -------- (etc)

Is this by default, or do I need to specify legato to get the instrument (in this case the strings) to play through the whole bar.

My time signature is 12/8+2/4; later in the piece I go to 4/4 for multiple bars and this still happens.

Thanks.

Look in the Playback options (cmd-shift-P) in the Timing section, and change the settings ! Here are the settings by default

I think the percentage duration mechanism leaves too large a gap for long notes (e.g., greater than a quarter note). It would be great if for long notes, that a fixed gap length is used rather than a percentage. For instance, if duration is quarter or longer and the duration is set to 85%, then the gap is 15% of a quarter note for all durations longer than a quarter note.

I believe this has been mentioned and acknowledged by the Development Team.

Thanks, this should work

“I think the percentage duration mechanism leaves too large a gap for long notes (e.g., greater than a quarter note). It would be great if for long notes, that a fixed gap length is used rather than a percentage. For instance, if duration is quarter or longer and the duration is set to 85%, then the gap is 15% of a quarter note for all durations longer than a quarter note.”

I would like this too. I think that ‘percentage of length of quarter note’ is close to how a player thinks, for notes greater than that. Even in cut times this would generally work.

Actually I did write some logic to do something similar to this, as the simple case where the percentage method breaks down is when you have a note held over several bars, as it would finish far too early. I can’t recall exactly what the current implementation does, but it doesn’t always just use the percentage.

Looks like the gap is getting progressively longer in the current version.

I’ll make a note to revisit this.