Playback Problem With Multiple Flows Defined

Hi,

I have a project with two flows. I have two Layouts defined and each layout is associated with only one of the flows. If I select the layout associated with the first flow and press Play, it starts playing back. The time code starts increasing, I hear the audio, I see the playhead moving across the screen. If I select the second layout associated with flow #2 and press Play, the time code starts increasing, but there is no audio, and the playhead does not appear.

I create a small test project with two flows with a few measures each to troubleshoot this. I’m able to created the problem. What I discovered is, when I press play from the second layout, it seems to be trying to play the first flow, even though it’s not assigned to this layout. The timecode counter will increase until the end of that flow is reached. Then, after a brief pause (5 second as defined in the Timing section under Playback options), the playhead finally appears, and I start to hear playback from flow #2.

Is this a bug? or what am I missing here?

Version 5.1.40.2138 (May 26 2024)
Dorico 5 AudioEngine Version 5.6.40.119
MacBook Pro M3 Max with Sonoma 14.5

Thank you,
Tim

When you start playback, Dorico simply starts playing from the playhead’s current location. There’s a single global timeline for the whole project, with each of the flows positioned on that global timeline. If the playhead is somewhere in the first flow and you start playback in a layout that doesn’t contain that flow, you will hear silence until you arrive at the place in the timeline where music is present in the current layout.

I’d suggest you use “play from selection” to start playback from the right spot when you switch layout, or else use Alt+P to move the playhead to the start of the current selection before you start playback.

4 Likes

Hmm… ok. Go’s to show how much I use multiple flows. Wouldn’t it make logical sense to have the rewind button on the transport reset the playhead to the start of the currently viewed layout? In what scenario would someone want the playhead to rewind to the start of a flow that’s not currently visible?

Thanks,
Tim

1 Like

Anyone?

Wouldn’t it make logical sense to have the rewind button on the transport reset the playhead to the start of the currently viewed layout?

Quite Possibly.

In what scenario would someone want the playhead to rewind to the start of a flow that’s not currently visible?

Can’t think of one tbh

I think it is your scenario that is atypical, in that your current viewed layout does not include all flows.

Hmmm… ok. Still, it shouldn’t be that hard for the play back code to figure out which flows are in the currently viewed layout.

So how would that work if I had two layouts open, each with different flows?

One scenario for me is when I let it play on past the end of a flow I’m working on, into the next accidentally. Without asking it to read my mind of do I want it to rewind to the beginning of the new or old flow, multiple presses, etc. Pressing P or ALt-P as Dan suggested really is pragmatically the most useful habit for me. Surgical and disciplined use of play like that helps keep me out of a time trap anyway.