Playback slow

I am using Dorico for iPad with a score that I created in Dorico for Windows.

It worked fine yesterday but today when I went to play it back it played back super slow on all my files.

The counter runs slow also.

The tempo marking is still correct in the top but it plays back slow in both the write window and the play window.

I am still new to Dorico so I may figure it out.

Please help.

Might you be in Fixed Tempo Mode? See here in the docs.

That wasn’t it. I saw that you could do that. I logged out, re-booted and logged back in and it wsa fixed. I was unable to make it happend again. I will take a screen shot next time.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I’ve just started to run into this, too. Anyone else ever seen this?

To clarify what I’m seeing exactly:

At unexpected times, playback in my project is significantly slower, but not at a specifically noticeable measurement like 50%. The only thing I’ve found to solve the problem is quick Dorico, and sometimes restart my machine.

I am 100% sure this is not me accidentally overriding the tempo in the top right of the screen.

There’s something horrifying about hearing your piece at something like 25% speed and wondering why the energy / excitement of the piece is suddenly completely missing…

It sounds like a sample rate mismatch to me, though in the normal range of sample rates that you might end up with, the difference should be something like a semi-tone in pitch and a small deviation in tempo, rather than half or quarter speed. In any case, to rule it out, go to the Device Setup dialog and choose a different value under the Sample rate menu, then wait a moment, and re-select the originally-chosen value. Then try playback again.

Ah, this is potentially it. I have Reaper hosting my VSTs listening to MIDI from Dorico over IAC. It looks like Reaper was at 48000 whereas Dorico was at 44100.

Does anyone know how I can get my mac to just remember 48k and not keep switching everything?

I have not had any problem getting Dorico to remember 48K to keep it in line with other software on my machine (that seems to enjoy setting the rate to 48K). I am on Windows, but I am surprised that a Mac would behave differently in this matter.

You need to make sure that all of the applications you use on your computer are set to the same sample rate. Modern Macs seem to default to 48kHz, so I suggest you standardise on that sample rate.