Playback Template function in Library

Hello Dorico team,
I would like to suggest one more function to be moved from Play to Library, the Playback Template.
This will allow us to skip entering the Play Mode just to switch the Playback Template for the current project (in case we would like to preserve the Default one). Would be better to have access to this function from all Modes.
The Play menu should be restricted to options that are strictly related to Play Mode, which will never be necessary in the other Modes.

I hope you would think about this improvement! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just assign a keyboard shortcut to the Playback Template dialog. I have it mapped to Ctrl-Alt-P. I also have the Expression Map dialog mapped to Ctrl-Shift-X, so these are accessible from any mode.

1 Like

Hi @PaulWalmsley,
Thank you very much for the reply! :slight_smile:
I’m aware that I can assign a key combination in order to invoke Playback Template by using
the keyboard. My point here is to have fast access by mouse click. Dorico is already too much keyboard shortcuts oriented. Working with mouse should also be improved. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Hmm, I don’t find this to be the case using 4.2 on Win11. I liked your Playback Template shortcut idea so I just programmed it as below:

It only works when I’m in Play mode however, it doesn’t work in any other mode. When I check my user keycommands file it shows in the kPlayMode context:

Did you manually move yours to kGlobal or something?

1 Like

Ah yes, my apologies - I did move them to the global context. Unfortunately we don’t have a way of doing this automatically at the moment.

1 Like

Just manually moved mine too. Works great!

We won’t be moving Play > Playback Template to the Library menu, but thanks for the suggestion. (I will, however, make sure that it gets treated as if it’s in the global context by default, so that a key command defined for it will work in any mode.)

3 Likes

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for the reply! :slight_smile:
Well, the Library is the most appropriate place for this function, as it should be accessible from
any Mode by mouse, not only by key commands, but the your team decide.

Probably in future you will reintroduce the Automation and other Track possibilities which are available in Cubase, so they will take their place in Play menu.

Please, think about it. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

No, our plans are for the editors for MIDI CC, dynamics, tempo et al to remain only in the Key Editor, and not to reappear in the track overview in Play mode.

Daniel,
Well, then how we would be able to have visual control over multiple Automation Lanes of different Tracks?! This is a very important aspect that was part of Dorico until version 3.5 and I really miss in Dorico 4+… The Timeline in Dorico should be equally powerful, when it comes to MIDI, to the one in Cubase. Having all Automation controls in the Key Editor is fine for iPad, but definitely not for the Desktop version of Dorico.
The Key Editor improvements are great and they are all welcomed, but you’ve had to preserve the Timeline editing options, because they are very important.
To me was very illogical when you decided to remove these automations from the Timeline and I hoped that, at some point you will bring them back even more improved.

Best regards,

You’ll have to wait and see what we have planned in this area. The next update will show how we intend to enable the display and editing of Key Editor data for multiple instruments.

1 Like

Well, since you have this in mind, I’m waiting to see. :slight_smile:
Just keep in mind not to overload the Key Editor with too many things, which could make it harder to navigate and monitor. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

I’m sure Daniel and the rest of the team know what they are doing.