Playback template RAM usage

Hey @Tarknin, here’s what I’ve got after a first pass. Actually all of Part I of the ballet:

https://stash.miloonline.net/dorico/rite_of_spring_1_spitfire.mp3

Notes:

• No changes to the score itself.
  • Dorico bugs prevent proper playback of a few articulations, e.g. the clarinet trill near the end of the Introduction.
  • I have yet to implement the Spitfire Solo Strings library for those bars that would require it. I started doing it, but the wall of suck that immediately ensued drove me to save that whole headache for another time. (Dorico’s voice-to-channel mapping system is fairly horrid.) So, those bars won’t sound right at all. (Fortunately, there aren’t too many; the Spring Rounds section suffers the most.)
  • The damned cor anglais, and especially the horns, are going to be a major challenge in several places. Spitfire’s unarticulated cor anglais and horns are just too mellow, no matter which samples or scripts you select.

When @Stephen_Taylor originally posted the score, I’d planned to set Spitfire’s sounds to it, and use the resulting VST settings and expression maps for my own music. Now, I’m not so sure; the way the score has been interpreted for the 100+ years of its existence really isn’t in line with the notation in several places, requiring either direct modifications to it to get it to sound anything like a standard rendering, or interpretive algorithms (e.g. NotePerformer) that filter everything through contemporary rules of aesthetics. I think I’m just going to stick with the set-up that I’ve labored over for my own compositions, with which I’m generally quite happy.

2 Likes