Playback Templates in D3

I’m trying to get to grips with creating new Playback Templates in Dorico 3.

Is there a way to view or edit an existing Endpoint config? I can see the current Endpoint Setup for a given VST by clicking on the cog wheel, but there’s no indication of whether that represents a particular saved Endpoint.

Templates seem to be saved with the application, which makes sense, but are they saved with the document too? (E.g. if I send a .dorico file to someone else with the same VSTs.)

Also, applying a Template seems to be very slow, and sometimes the player won’t show until I change to Write mode. Also, the VST ‘activate’ switch is off when the template generates the VST.

I’ve nearly got a working template for Garritan GPO5 – with the samples loading! – but sometimes the instruments don’t get hooked up to the Endpoint map. I can’t work out why. New documents are fine, but existing ones are not.

You cannot view or edit an existing endpoint configuration, though of course if you apply the playback template then you can effectively see the endpoint configuration by opening the Endpoint Setup dialog for a VST instrument loaded by the playback template, and you can save it over the top of an existing one with the same name to replace it.

The playback template is indeed saved in the project when it’s used in one, so you can give somebody else that project and it will work as you expect.

Thanks, Daniel. One more question: is there a way now to have Contrabass and Cello playing back from the same stave? Or would we need to do a unison condens…ation?

No, a single instrument cannot address multiple endpoints.

It can though if you have them in separate voices and enable separate voice playback

The trouble is that normally, a ‘Basso’ line just shows one note, and the contrabass plays it an octave lower. If I use condensing or separate voices, I get octave chords.
You can of course have two separate samples playing the same MIDI channel; the trick is getting one of them to transpose.

You can assign the Octave up/down expression map to that channel if it’s played consistently by one voice.

The Contrabass plays the same part as the Cello: there’s no need in the score for a separate Player or Voice. Either of those would mean duplicating the music. I think the answer is “no”.

Leaving that to one side: the Endpoint configuration works brilliant to set/load samples into ARIA Player for given instruments, and that’s a massive time-saver on what I had previously. I think I need to play around with it a lot more to see how to get the most out of it.