Playback Transposition

Hello,

I am using Dorico in order to create parts and playback audio for a Saxophone Orchestra on line rehearsal and have come across an odd problem:

The piece we are concentrating on is in the key of Eb and (when viewed in Full Score view) has the first notes as Bb, Eb - see attachment 1. In Alto 1 view the first notes, as expected are G. C (attachment 2). When I export to mp3 so as to send the piece to the Altos for their practice, the notes are Bb, Eb. So far, so good…

If I playback the piece, it’s out of tune. The long Eb note comes out as somewhere between C sharp and D! As I am planning to use Dorico to stop and start the playback during rehearsals it will be out of tune.

Have I got a setting wrong within Dorico? I can export all of the other orchestral parts and am comfortable that they will be in the correct key and tuning suitable for the members to play along with, but at present my plans for the online session are a bit up in the air until I can work out what’s going on.

Any help will be most gratefully received.

Peter

1 Like

In Preferences/Play/Device Setup, do you have the sample rate set to 48000?

1 Like

Yes, in line with Vaughan’s advice, if you encounter playback that’s out by a half-step/semitone that’s often because of a mismatch between the sample rate Dorico expects and the sample rate used by your playback device; go to Edit > Device Setup, choose a different sample rate, wait a moment, then choose the original one again. That should set things straight.

1 Like

Hello,

Sample rate was indeed set to 48000, I have set to 41000 then back to 48000 and all is sweet and in tune. Thanks to you both for your advice and help.

Peter

1 Like

I just had the same issue, and now it’s fixed! Thanks so much~ But I wonder why it went strange? I don’t remember doing anything out of the ordinary.

Basically speaking, Dorico sets the sample rate when it starts up its playback engine. If you then load or play from another program that similarly sets a sample rate on initialisation/playback (such as a DAW) Dorico has no way of knowing that the sound card’s sample rate has changed, so Dorico thinks that e.g. it’s outputting at 48k but the sound card is putting out 44.1khz.

Ah ha! I used Logic in between, that must have done it!
Mystery solved!

Thank you so much