Playback trouble

Hi,

I’m having trouble getting any audio from Dorico. I can see from the mixer and the VST instrument that audio is being played but it’s not coming through. I’m on a Dell XPS laptop and I have tried the generic ASIO driver that Dorico installed, the laptop’s own ASIO driver and ASIO4ALL.

I do have an audio interface but for portability it would be nice if this wasn’t required. Has anyone had any success with the previously mentioned drivers?

There’s a bit of a problem with Dorico reconnecting to the audio interface in Device Setup while the program is still running (we fixed this yesterday and it should be improved in the first post-release update), so try switching again to the Generic Low-Latency ASIO Driver, then quit and restart Dorico and see if that helps. If it doesn’t switch to another device, then quit and restart again.

The issue seems to be contained to that test project. After applying the correct device settings and restarting with a new project the playback works. The test project audio still does not work, but that doesn’t matter.

In your test project, if you go to Play mode and choose Load Sounds for Unassigned Instruments it should load the sounds OK.

You can also go to the Play mode menu and select ‘Apply Default Playback Template’ to reset the sounds for the score.

Here’s a useful diagnostic tip:

• Go into Play mode
  • In the VST Instruments panel on the right check you have HALion Sonic SE listed in one of the slots. If you don’t then do the ‘Apply Default Playback Template’ menu item
  • Press the ‘e’ button next to HALion Sonic SE which should bring up the HALion plugin window
  • Press a few keys on the HALion’s virtual piano keyboard. You should be able to hear something.

And what if I still can’t hear it after all that? I can still hear it in other projects.

Perhaps you could zip up and attach the project here so that we can take a look and see what might be wrong.

by PaulWalmsley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 am

You can also go to the Play mode menu and select ‘Apply Default Playback Template’ to reset the sounds for the score.

I’m having a lot of trouble with Play mode getting everything more messed up than improved. So I want to reset all sounds to default. But the above ‘Apply Default…’ is not showing up in Dorico 3. Was this changed since 2016?

That menu item is now just called “Playback Template”. And then a dialog appears from where you can now choose from several templates.

Yes, I saw that in the documentation here (Dorico 2.2.20 is latest documentation):

But it’s not clear exactly what to select to get back to Dorico’s default template. Would it be possible to clarify?

Also could the YouTube tutorials add some text to the 1.x versions that explain the basic stuff? This is to correct changes for the latest version. I think you can do this without reshooting the videos somehow.

The silent template is for people that have the music in their head and don’t need the playback feature. It also saves resources on your computer.
The other two templates show in the brackets the intended usage.
“HSSE (Elements)” is the default for Dorico Elements users, because they have a limited sound set compared to Pro (but also Pro users can choose this template.)
“HSSE + HSO (Pro)” is the default template for Dorico Pro users.

In fact documentation for Dorico 3 is available, and you’ll find it here. At the time of writing it is not materially complete, but a good number of the new features in the new version are already documented there.