Playback when mixer window is open?

Is there a reason for this:
When I am in Play mode and open the Mixer window (F3) I can’t start playback with or the playback arrow. So far the only workaround I found is clicking on an “event” in the drum track.

Is there quick way to mute an instrument without going to the Mixer?

MacOS Catalina, Dorico 3.5

You should find that you can start playback with Space or with P. Does that work?

You can quickly solo an instrument via Play > Solo Selected Instruments, but I’m afraid no corresponding command exists for muting instruments.

I have not tried the “P” shortcut. Spacebar seems to start playback but it is not actually starting to play back until I click an event in the drum track.

Solo button works, too. I was trying to hunt down a strange ping sound and couldn’t tell which track it came from.

I have the same problem;
In write, engrave and play mode I can playback a score. In write and engrave mode I can also open the mixer and then it works fine.
If I also have the mixer open in play mode, the playback no longer works. When starting nothing happens and when stopping you hear a short sound.
If I start playback with the space bar and then close the mixer, the playback starts with closing the mixer.
Anyone have an idea?

A small addition:
If I open the same files in Dorico-for-iPad it works fine

I think the problem is that the focus is being stolen by the Mixer, and so it’s trying to activate or deactivate one of the buttons in the window rather than processing the playback command. For the time being you will probably need to close the Mixer window to solve this problem.

The next version of Dorico for macOS and Windows will have a wholly new Mixer, an expanded version of the one introduced in Dorico for iPad, so this problem will no longer occur because the Mixer will be entirely different.

5 Likes

Hi Daniel, thank you for the reply.
I don’t think it has to do with focus. I just discovered that the problem does not occur when all instrument tracks are collapsed. It occurs when more than 4 instrument tracks are expanded. (with the track disclosure arrow)
Collapsing the tracks is the workaround.

Groet, Marien