Playhead does not appear in parts, but appear only in score during playback

Dear users and developers,

In Preference of Dorico 3.1 Pro under macOS 10.15.3, “Follow playhead during playback” is selected and it works in scores.
However, I have realised that it does not work because playhead does not appear in parts.
Is it intended behaviour?

No, you should find that the playhead appears in all layouts during playback (and indeed it does for me).

Hm…, It is strange.
What has happened on my laptop?

I am attaching a video. You can see that the playhead does not work sometimes (or under certain condition) as expected

As you see, it works not always.
If I must submit my dorico project, please let me know it.

Do you have some extra Flows that are not in the Full Score layout?

I think I do not have such extra flows.
Please inspect the following file:

I removed all musical items after bar 9 of each flow. I can privately send you the complete version if it is required to resolve the problem.

Unfortunately I can’t see anything obviously wrong in this project, though there are quite a few warnings. Have you created new frame chains in layouts? If you have then there is a known problem where those do not currently scroll during playback.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your kindness.

I am, however, afraid to say that I do not understand the following:

I created lots of “frame breaks” in Engrave mode. Do you mean this?

I have a question. You wrote the following:

How can I see warnings? Do you use a special application to inspect the project file?

No, a frame chain is different from a frame break. Music frames can be either master ( with a prefix M, created in the master page), or layout (with a prefix L, created independent of the master page). Music frames can flow from one to another in a chain in whatever arrangement you set. If you create a layout frame chain, it affects playback.

Here’s a start. Google search returned the v1 manual, but it all applies to v3. Music frame chains

It’s definitely Master Frame Chain related. If you set your Default Part Master Page to use the MX Frame Chain rather than the MAC Frame Chain (I’ve never seen an MAC Frame Chain before) then the playhead will show correctly.

I did not create MX and MAC.

For Full Score Layout, I created the following Master pages:

• Cover
  • Player List
  • Contents

For Part Layout, I created the following pages:

• Cover

After creating them, I realised two instances of “Cover” are slightly different.
While working the project file, Dorico 3.1 was released.
I imported “Default Full Score” and “Default Part” from a new Dorico project file created using Dorico 3.1.
I overwrote these files into exiting “Default Full Score” and “Default Part”.
I then deleted “Cover” in Parts Set, and imported “Cover” from Full Score Set.

Is MX the edited and crated layout in the open project file?
Is MAC the imported layout?

I am a bit confused…

Oops,

I’ve forgotten to say thanks to Dan and Leo. Sorry!

Your score and part layouts (at least the few that I looked at) aren’t actually using the imported master pages; they’re using the original master pages. I don’t know how that MAC frame chain came into existence, but the fact remains that it’s not the one you should be using.

Page layout including header and page number changes when changing music frame from MAC to MX.

I will try more tomorrow.

Thank you for your advice.

I now understand how to handle “frame chain”.
As far as I remember, I did not edit and create additional music frame chain.

Because of it, I do not understand the followings:

• Why do “MA”, “MO”, “MU” and “MY” exist in full score?
  • Why do “MX”, and “MAC” exist in parts?

Regarding this, I have two questions:

1. I imported lots of musicxml files. Does importing musicxml create new “music frame chain”?
  2. How can I delete “MO”, “MU”, “MY” and “MAC”?

No, importing MusicXML files doesn’t do anything to the frames in your project. If you have lots of frame chains, they are presumably coming from the various master page pairs you have defined.

If you have something like “MAC,” I can only assume you have so many frame chains that Dorico ran out of letters and had to start another placeholder!

It’s possible to require this, but it doesn’t look like your project needs to be set up with this many frame chains…

I repeatedly did the followings:

• creating new master pages
  • editing them
  • deleting master pages
  • importing master pages sets from another project to recover master pages to default
  • copying master pages from the imported master page sets

I did these more for parts than for score.

As Daniel pointed out, defining various master page pairs automatically makes new music frame chains.

As Dan mentioned, my project does not need to be set up with this many frame chains. I did not it intentionally. Hm…

It would be nice if I can remove these unnecessary (and unwanted) chains, it seems to be no way to do it.

Ah, that’s why. When you create a master frame and save it to a master page, that letter placeholder is taken in Dorico’s mind, even if the master page gets deleted.

No, you can’t really “reset” without importing your flows (and master page sets) into a new project. You don’t have to eradicate the extra letters, though. As long as your frame chains are selected correctly, it doesn’t matter what letters they display. And as you can see from the frame chain dropdown, if a frame chain is no longer in existence, it can’t be selected from the list anyways.

I could initialise all music chains by selecting chains as follows:

• MA for the full score
  • MX for parts.

The other chains are disappeared.
Finally, playhead appears in parts as well.

Thanks!

However, all of the system breaks and frame breaks are removed.
Is there a way to copy them into other music frame chain?