Playing of turns

Hi everyone, I’m a new user of Dorico 3, and am learning as I go but I’m not sure how to make a turn symbol actually play a turn.

Here’s what I mean:

I’d like the top line to sound and play like the second line. Is this something I can do?

Thanks! :smiley:

I’m afraid Dorico doesn’t yet have automatic support for playback of mordents and turns, but this is on our list of features planned for future versions.

Thank you. Fast reply!

You could certainly do something, but I don’t know that any work-around would be worth the trouble. Certainly it will be nice when the playback is automatic.

You could create an additional player that does nothing but play the turn notes.

It might be possible to put the turn notes in a second voice and then hide the notes. I’m not sure about that one.

I wonder if it might make sense at some point to be able to add notes in PLAY mode, when those notes are not explicitly in the score. There might be other cases where that would be useful/

Hi Daniel,
Just adding a bump to this thread. Any progress on playing back turns and mordents? Any work arounds?
Cheers!

Try this thread:

Just for jollies I wonder how this might be done. The messy thing is that like so much of music, embellishments differ according to source. Bach had one approach, and in some periods wasn’t it entirely up to the performer? Basically a chance to show off.

An interesting simple approach might be with Ossia, from the documentation

Music on ossia staves is not played back.

What if an o-stave could be marked as a playback stave, where it supersedes the main stave for playback, and isn’t printed? Basically a subtype of ossia. Simple way to solve it, and Dorico would want to make it easy for you and auto generate the embellishment, but with the stave you could go in and alter to preferences.

Might also open us up to other possibilities such as in modern music.

1 Like

No need for ossias. Just add a staff above, write in the ornaments, remove it and suppress playback of the normal staff.
mordents.dorico (507.4 KB)

1 Like

That’s a glorious hack. Testing it does work, but I’m completely at a loss as to why. Not a good solution because you can’t edit or add additions, but if you’re desperate it’ll get the job done temporarily.

A slight fly in the ointment:

I thought you meant ‘hide it’ using System Visibility, which would also work; but you’re right that music stays in an additional staff even if the +1 / -1 boundaries are removed (or overlapping).

The same is true for divisi, incidentally. You can ‘recover’ the music by restoring the divisi or adding the staff again.