Playing technique clashes VSL Synchron-ized Solo Voices

I am using the expression maps VSL have provided for this updated version of Vienna Solo Voices. They work well except for the fact that there is no way to switch between AA and UU vowel sounds using the expression map.

I have added two Add-on switches to the expression map for the Mouth open and Mouth pursed playing techniques and assigned the key switches to select the correct vowel sound for each. The only way I can get this to work correctly is to input a “naturale”, or “nat.”, playing technique to return the software instrument to its natural state every time I want to change the vowel sound. This feels cumbersome since sometimes it is desirable to switch vowel sounds for every note of a particular phrase. Is there a better way to do this?

Also, in order to keep the legato articulation, I have to add the legato key switch to the Mouth open and Mouth pursed Actions table otherwise it will get reset when the instrument is returned to its natural state. Again it seems as if there should be a better way of doing this.

Hi ! I don’t have that library nor have studied its expression map, but it seems logical to me that Mouth open and Mouth pursed should belong to the same mutual exception group, which means when one is triggered, the other is off (just like bowed — nat. for violins — and pizz.)

1 Like

Hey Marc, thanks for the tip! Using mutual exception groups solves the issue.

(I wonder why they are not mentioned here - Playback playing techniques, and it advises you to input a “naturale” instead? )

1 Like

Probably because, it being the Dorico manual, the advice covers all and any VSTs.