Playing technique for MIDI channel change

Dear advanced users,

What is the simplest way to create a playing technique for MIDI channel change?
On “Expression Maps Window”, I lost my view.

It would be much appreciated if someone gives me a brief instruction for it!

First, I suck as an instructor.

As an outline:

If you want to create a brand new Playback techinique, then there is naturally an additional step we need to talk about. But lets assume you want to assign a new MIDI channel to one of the exiting PT’s in Dorico. Let’s say for now it is “pizzicato”. Let’s also say that you don’t want to screw up an existing expression map in case something goes badly. So with those two assumptions for now":

On the left side of the Expression Maps window is a list of the current expression maps. Choose one of them and hit the “Duplicate” button at the bottom of the list. Now rename it to something that makes sense to you. Your new map is selected by default when you duplicate it, so you can just go to the right and change the name.

Next, look at the map and notice a list of PT’s that it already contains. Lets pretend that pizzicato is NOT there. So you press the add button at the bottom of that list, scroll through the choices that appear and select “pizzicato”.

At this point you can select any of the PT’s that have been added to the map, and change what they do. So select our “pizzecato”, whether it was already there or you just added it.

On the right you will see any MIDI channel changes or CC that are invoked by this technique. For a Midi channel change, decide whether this is an absolute change (It is always channel 2) or a relative one (It is always the next channel from the current channel). Press the button to add whichever you want, and enter the channel number.

Go have a beer (actually not yet). To avoid a problem when you are NOT using pizzicato, In this case you want to click on the PT for “Natural” and add a channel change back to whatever you use for arco. Make sure in the endpoint config for your VST that you select your new expression map. NOW you can have a celebratory beer.

…and in case the channel change is for another purpose than a regular articulation change, it makes sense to add the technique in the Expression Map as an add-on TYPE, rather than Base… :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind explanation! It is very helpful.

It is required currently to used bowed cymbal.

I usually use NotePerformer, but it does not include bowed cymbals. Thus, I think the best way is using Kontakt 6 for the “cymbal player”.
Strangely there seems to be no cymbal which has various techniques.
Therefore, a playing technique for MIDI channel change with popover “arco_cym” is required. Of course, the popover “arco_cym” displays “arco”.

It would be even better when I can change the VST-instrument connection with playing techniques… haha.

You can’t do that with a PT, but you can do that if you assign a seperate voice to the bowed part - then you can route the new voice to a different VST instrument instances/connection.

Thank you very much!