Playing technique popup old behaviour

Hi there,
Is there a way to go back to the pre Dorico 4 way of entering playing techniques, meaning that adding a second playing technique will add itself to the first one and won’t replace it?
If not, could we have the option of using this behaviour as default. 2/3 of my macros won’t work anymore and it’s so annoying, at least for me, to have to reselect the note.
Thanks

It ought to be possible to return to the note by hitting Tab, but that doesn’t work to move from a playing technique back to the note at the same position – I’m not sure why, and I’ll investigate.

1 Like

Thanks for keeping me posted Daniel

Hi Daniel, did you find out why it doesn’t work?

No, it’s still on my list of things to look into when I have time, and I’m afraid I’ve not yet had time.

Hi Daniel,
The behavior for entering playing technique still doesn’t seem to be fixed in 5,1. Would it be possible to move this up on the list of priorities? I’ve spent hours and hours building a setup that doesn’t work since it stopped working properly, which makes quite a while now.
Thanks and merry Christmas to you,
Québécois

I just tried cycling the selection between note and playing technique at the same position using Tab, and it does seem to work as expected. Do you find that to be the case?

Hi Daniel,
I was not expecting an answer for Christmas!
So…
When I enter a playing technique here’s what I get :

1. After entering it, I need to press tab twice for it to get back to the note and it doesn’t work every time. When it works, first tab gets me out of the menu, second tab will bring me back to the note;
  2. When double tab works, if I try to enter a second playing from the same note, the tab just doesn’t work anymore. First one will get me out of the menu, but the second won’t get me back to the note, which mean entering a third playing technique will just replace the last one.
    Of course, even if “double tab” was stable, it still means fixing thousands of commands for me.
    Thanks for your quick answer (as always!) and be assured I won’t feel offended if you take a few days off before you come back to me!
    Québ

What do you mean when you say the “first tab gets me out of the menu” – what menu are you talking about? The auto-completion list in the playing techniques popover, or something else?

Here’s what I get:

1. Enter a playing technique with the popover
  2. Press tab : gets me out of the popover and selects the playing technique;
  3. press tab a second time : deselects the playing technique and selects the note;
  4. If I then enter a new playing technique with the popover, steps number 1 and 2 get repeated, but there’s no way to get back to the note (step 3).

Isn’t it the results you get?

The old behavior was :

1. Enter a playing technique with the popover;
  2. Press tab : exits the popover and selects the note.
    It was then possible to enter numerous playing technique in chain, which is what I need to do.

Cheers

The issue, I think, is that sometimes the focus does not correctly get returned to the music area when the popover closes. That’s why hitting Tab after the playing technique is created doesn’t do anything; you can verify this for yourself by typing Alt+0 (zero) after you create the playing technique. You’ll then find that Tab does cycle between the note and the playing technique. We can fix this so that the focus goes back to the music area automatically.

Can I add something here? My popover menu for playing technique doesn’t work:

1. I select a note
  2. Shift+O
  3. I write for example “pizz.”
  4. Press Enter - Nothing happens!
  5. If I select the technique from the right panel it takes 8-10 seconds to appear on screen.
    Thanks

Shift+O is for the Ornaments popover. Shift+P is for the Playing Technique popover.

1 Like

Thanks! I do need few days off…! It’s quite slow however when I choose from the panel.

I imagine the project you’re working on is very large in scale?

Hi Daniel,
You’ll know the reason better than I do and it would be a life saver if you can fix it.
Alt+0 doesn’t give me any result except moving a selected playing technique to the next note.

Hi Daniel,
Here’s the project.
Could it have something to do with my very complicated xmaps? There’s a baryton in the second mouvement and if I change the xmap for another one, it shows very weird playing techniques that don’t make any sense. But when I change it, it doesn’t affect the entry speed.
Entry is slow everywhere in the score.
Thanks,
Québ

(Attachment Kapràl - Quatuor avec baryton.dorico is missing)

I’ve sent the project by email.
Thanks
Québ